"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
Master Chef

As mentioned above, I've only used it for coloring, and that's only been just a tiny bit in Spanish rice, just to add a little 'yellow'. My little jar of turmeric is probably long gone from whatever flavoring it had when I first bought it.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Earthy, =beets, =turmeric

Did you know there was such thing as a turmeric party?
The Haldi Ceremony at a Hindu Wedding - The Big Fat Indian Wedding
OoooKaaaay. That was something new and different.

CD

Old 03-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #13
Head Chef

Fresh turmeric smells like Marigolds or ruddles and taste like ruddles petals.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Mix it in something like butter and have on plain pasta. Or in a little milk - just a couple of mouthfuls.

a word of warning - pure turmeric 'extract' if you will, available in health food stores, is taken by a lot of people along with a gazillion other beneficial herbs, etc.
READ THE LABELS
I didn't,
ghastly stomach shooting pains ensued. took me 3 days to realize what was causing them. Thankfully there was immediate relief when I stopped.
Label reads Not to be Taken By Persons With Stomach Issues!
So I just use it in cooking. I try to include it in 1 or 2 dishes a week for whatever benefits are there - and I like the dishes.
I take turmeric curcumin, one capsule twice a day, at the recommendation of my NP. She also recommended that I take red yeast rice (2 caps twice a day to help with cholesterol) and krill oil (350mg per day for cardiovascular halth). All 3 are considered homeopathic dietary supplements. As I see it, as long as there are no adverse reactions to them it can't hurt.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Okaaay! So, not a very strong flavor, not even a flavor enhancer. But it will definitely upset your little tummy if you are prone to such pain. It is used mostly for coloring rice yellow.

I would rather us BTB for flavor than anything just for coloring. And BTB has a lot more uses than turmeric. Turmeric seems to be only good for one purpose. I have a package of food coloring gels. Just a tip of the coloring gel, and it serves a whole pot of food or frosting. It even has two reds. One is Christmas red and one regular red.

I am so glad I never felt the need to add it to my spice shelf. If I want earthy, I will eat dirt.

Did I get it right?
Old 03-31-2018, 01:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I take turmeric curcumin, one capsule twice a day, at the recommendation of my NP. She also recommended that I take red yeast rice (2 caps twice a day to help with cholesterol) and krill oil (350mg per day for cardiovascular halth). All 3 are considered homeopathic dietary supplements. As I see it, as long as there are no adverse reactions to them it can't hurt.
The adverse effect of homeopathic remedies is a hurtin' on your wallet, since they don't do anything at all. The entire philosophy it's based on is false.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hom...tive-medicine/

Note that this is not intended to try to change your mind. I'm posting this for people who are interested in understanding the claims.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The adverse effect of homeopathic remedies is a hurtin' on your wallet, since they don't do anything at all. The entire philosophy it's based on is false.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hom...tive-medicine/

Note that this is not intended to try to change your mind. I'm posting this for people who are interested in understanding the claims.
So you are saying that there is no science relating cardiovascular health to fish oil? I have to disagree with that.

And my cholesterol has gone down since I started taking the red yeast rice supplement. That isn't mind over matter or placebo effect. That is actual lab results.

I would also take that article with a few grains of salt, since he approaches the subject as a self avowed skeptic. When you start with a closed mind, the results are a foregone conclusion.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
So you are saying that there is no science relating cardiovascular health to fish oil? I have to disagree with that.

And my cholesterol has gone down since I started taking the red yeast rice supplement. That isn't mind over matter or placebo effect. That is actual lab results.

I would also take that article with a few grains of salt, since he approaches the subject as a self avowed skeptic. When you start with a closed mind, the results are a foregone conclusion.
What I meant is that homeopathy is not a reliable way to improve health (the definition seems to be changing, though). Pharmaceuticals are tested for both safety and effectiveness. Supplements are not tested for either, because they're not sold as drugs but as food. That's thanks to Congress which passed the DSHEA law in 1994 making dietary supplements a separate category.

A skeptic is not one who is closed-minded. A skeptic does not take claims at face value. But he doesn't start with a foregone conclusion.

You might be interested in this article about the red yeast rice: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/red...d-cholesterol/

Backed up here. It can interact negatively with a lot of other substances: https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...red-yeast-rice

The problem with products like this is that the people who sell or recommend them, and usually the people who take them, believe that because they're "natural," they won't have any adverse effects. But they can.

I don't know if there is more recent research available, but according to this, krill oil, from a shrimp-like creature, is not the same as fish oil, which itself is controversial. Most experts say it's best to get specific nutrients from whole foods rather than individual supplements. https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...-than-fish-oil

Tags
turmeric