"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
What does turmeric taste like?

Does turmeric have a definitive taste, or is it used mostly for coloring? Iíve used turmeric many times, because it was listed in the recipe, but when I make the same recipe without turmeric, I donít really notice any substantial difference in the taste, although the lovely color is missing. Could this be because Iím using turmeric from the grocery store spice shelf? Iíve read many articles on the health benefits of turmeric, and they seem to be considerable, and a good reason to add it to foods, but what does it taste like?

__________________

__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,232
Mix it in something like butter and have on plain pasta. Or in a little milk - just a couple of mouthfuls.

a word of warning - pure turmeric 'extract' if you will, available in health food stores, is taken by a lot of people along with a gazillion other beneficial herbs, etc.
READ THE LABELS
I didn't,
ghastly stomach shooting pains ensued. took me 3 days to realize what was causing them. Thankfully there was immediate relief when I stopped.
Label reads Not to be Taken By Persons With Stomach Issues!
So I just use it in cooking. I try to include it in 1 or 2 dishes a week for whatever benefits are there - and I like the dishes.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Mix it in something like butter and have on plain pasta. Or in a little milk - just a couple of mouthfuls.

a word of warning - pure turmeric 'extract' if you will, available in health food stores, is taken by a lot of people along with a gazillion other beneficial herbs, etc.
READ THE LABELS
I didn't,
ghastly stomach shooting pains ensued. took me 3 days to realize what was causing them. Thankfully there was immediate relief when I stopped.
Label reads Not to be Taken By Persons With Stomach Issues!
So I just use it in cooking. I try to include it in 1 or 2 dishes a week for whatever benefits are there - and I like the dishes.
Thanks for the suggestions and the warning! You didn’t mention what it tastes like, though, or what it’s flavor profile is. Is it spicy? Is it like curry? Is it salty or earthy or bursting with umami?
__________________
Dance like no oneís watching, sing like no oneís listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 9,991
Its earthy but not very overtly flavorful, IMO.

Obviously fresh ground spices are more vibrant than stale ones, so it could be your supermarket brand.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,442
Joel, I think it tastes slightly metallic. It's something I use very sparingly, and only for the color.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,600
I have an aunt that takes some turmeric every day for nutrition. I made up a strong turmeric drink, it tastes earthy, not spicy, and I had bathroom issues for a week. I don't generally have a sensitive stomach but this was something to be careful of for sure.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,071
Small amounts has a very subtle flavor which can and is easily overpowered and hidden by other flavors. It by itself, especially in larger amounts, could have a bitterness to it.
Definitely works as a coloring agent. Small amount goes a long way ( and can stain things too , so be careful).
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Its earthy but not very overtly flavorful, IMO.

Obviously fresh ground spices are more vibrant than stale ones, so it could be your supermarket brand.
Yeah, it is certainly earthy, but so is dirt. Both add about the same amount of flavor to food, IMO.

I bought some for a recipe, and don't plan to buy any more. It just doesn't seem to add much to the party.

CD
__________________
ďPeople say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.Ē Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yeah, it is certainly earthy, but so is dirt. Both add about the same amount of flavor to food, IMO.

I bought some for a recipe, and don't plan to buy any more. It just doesn't seem to add much to the party.

CD
Earthy, =beets, =turmeric

Did you know there was such thing as a turmeric party?
The Haldi Ceremony at a Hindu Wedding - The Big Fat Indian Wedding
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,288
It is one dimensional, but works well with other spices...not so much on it's own..
__________________

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
turmeric

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.