What is mace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spork

Head Chef
Sometimes I plan a weekend meal by effectively throwing one of my cookbooks in the air and seeing where it lands. So I'm making a cream based soup of leeks and oatmeal called Brotchan Roy that's traditionally Irish. Not exactly summery, but it looks delicious in my cookbook. I bought the leeks and a fresh bunch of parsley, am going to use cupboard granola lightly sweetened with cane sugar and a dash of Tabasco for my own personal touch.

The recipe calls for a "pinch of ground mace." What the?! In all my years, including a decade of dedication to the Food Channel, I had never heard of such a thing. Is it a spice? an herb? a chemical ursine repellent? So, anyway, I also bought a jar of the stuff. It tastes oddly medicinal...

Sometimes I plan a weekend meal by effectively throwing one of my cookbooks in the air and seeing where it lands. So I'm making a cream based soup of leeks and oatmeal called Brotchan Roy that's traditionally Irish. Not exactly summery, but it looks delicious in my cookbook. I bought the leeks and a fresh bunch of parsley, am going to use cupboard granola lightly sweetened with cane sugar and a dash of Tabasco for my own personal touch.

The recipe calls for a "pinch of ground mace." What the?! In all my years, including a decade of dedication to the Food Channel, I had never heard of such a thing. Is it a spice? an herb? a chemical ursine repellent? So, anyway, I also bought a jar of the stuff. It tastes oddly medicinal...
Mace is the outter layer of nutmeg, It is a milder form. I can tell you it will take over if you use to much. So use a light hand.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom