What's the deal with these Bay leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Bought these today in the import section of a grocery store. Had bay leaves labelled on the bag. They were with other spices like masalas, cardamom, cumin, etc, so I am guessing Indian type bay leaves. They are huge and don't smell like the regular smaller type we get here typically. One buck for a fairly large bag. Anybody familiar with this???

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 237
I got some dried ones of those a few years ago--made a very nice blend of curry-like powder with those. Roch--I picked up a bay tree at the Richmond Nursery (south on Eagleson) a few years ago. I think I paid around $10-15 for it. I put it out on the deck in the summer, in the house in the winter. It doesn't need much care--I mist it about 1x per week and make sure it is watered, in a sunny window. I love using fresh bay leaves.

Not something I've ever been able to find, I'm very jealous!
I've seen a lot of recipes where it's just dropped whole into the curry sauce and supposedly really adds to the flavour.

That's tulsi, "Indian bay leaves", a relative of cassia (cinnamon). Other than being a member of the laurel family it bears little resemblance to Mediterranean bay leaves. Substitute cassia leaves, cassia buds, or a bit of cinnamon.

Curry leaves are totally different:

Fresh%20Curry%20Leaves.preview.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom