Which herbs are you growing and how do you use them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovage is a perennial. It grows very well (at least here--I have a rather large plant that is about 4-5 years old). One thing about lovage, it is on the list of things a person should avoid if pregnant.

Lovage is a perennial. It grows very well (at least here--I have a rather large plant that is about 4-5 years old). One thing about lovage, it is on the list of things a person should avoid if pregnant.
Well, that's good to know, but not likely here. :ROFLMAO:

taxlady, I live in NW Illinois; last winter was mild but my plant is easily 3 years old and persevered through a couple of record-breaking cold winters (including one where for a week or two it didn't get above -10). The lovage just went dormant and popped back up in the spring like my thyme, sage, mint and chives.

I had a bay tree in Florida, and my mom does as well. Mine was against a high fence, Mom's is planted next to a live oak. Both became rather vine like. Unlike the above-mentioned lovage, the bay couldn't handle the way below zero temps (forgot to take it in!) and died. The little tree (it was only about a foot tall) still provided me with enough bay leaves in its death to provide me with dried leaves that will last me years.

To me bay is the one herb that is actually stronger fresh than dried.

I have parsley, dill, mint. On tthe second balcony i grow basil both green and purple. thyme oregano , luiza or lemon grass ...

the rest of the herbs and vegetables are in the garden far from the apartment. there we grow lettuce, onions and garlic, eggplants, zucchini, peppers all kinds , tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and some fruit trees as quince and peach.

I want the flavor in soups and stews, but can't stand to eat it cooked. :ohmy:

When I buy a bunch of celery, I chop up the tender inner parts for salads, egg, tuna, chicken.

The middle parts get coarsely chopped for soups where I do want the tender slices left in the dish.

The tough outer ribs I cut in half and put in a baggie in the freezer. I use them for soups and stews, then remove and throw them away. I get all the flavor and none of the stringy parts.

Never heard that about lovage, but did about pennyroyal (the early trimester miscarriages, that is). It is also somewhat of an insecticide.

Got my herb boxes staines and filled and bought a Bay tree that wil fit in a big pot. I added some curly and flat leaf parslies as well as some winter savory and burgomont sage. I needed some height and color in that corner so I made some trellis' and added a couple of bouganvillas. I am trying to grow some Habanero chilis too.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 210
OK, I'll post this elsewhere as well .... there is a savory used for tourtiere that I wanted to be sure to include, but I don't remember if it's summer savory or otherwise? Anyone know? I'll probably just google it.

I gave up on growing all but cress, because of my poor success rate. Most of the time the herbs grew a couple of inches, and then died. :)

I gave up on growing all but cress, because of my poor success rate. Most of the time the herbs grew a couple of inches, and then died. :)

I don't know if you knew this or not... but you actually have to WATER them...

Who knew.

I grow lots of different herbs - all in a variety of colorful pots on my deck. Currently have Chives, Garlic Chives, Tri-Color Sage, Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley, Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Anise Hyssop, Rosemary, Chocolate Mint, French Tarragon, & Greek Oregano.

When temps get a little warmer, I'll have Sweet Basil, Lemon Basil, Lime Basil & Catnip seedlings ready to put out, & anything else that happens to strike my fancy that I come across at the local nurseries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom