YOUR Top 5 Spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garlic, Cayenne pepper, Lemon pepper, Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Chili powder,

It's to difficult to stop at only 5. I can narrow it down to 10 though.

I find its always handy to have:
Paprika - Goes with everything
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Cumin
Cinnamon

Theres not a dish that I can think of that can't be made tastier with one of these spices! Infact, I use them so much i've even started ordering them in bulk! :P

Sue

Spices:Black pepper,Cumin,ground Chilis,Montreal blend,ground Ginger (not all together)

Herbs:Fresh Rosemary,fresh Thyme,fresh Oregano,dried Chives,fresh Cilantro (not all together)

I much prefer fresh chives but they are rare and sub-par in the supermarket most of the time. I try and grow them with little luck.
I have access to freeze dried ones that are o.k.

I much prefer fresh chives but they are rare and sub-par in the supermarket most of the time. I try and grow them with little luck.
I have access to freeze dried ones that are o.k.
Oh, it's not a preference.

It's probably too warm for them to be happy growing your area. They do well here. I wonder if it's just the hard winter they need. It gets plenty warm in summer here.

I just looked in my garden and they are just starting to come up. I tasted one, to make sure it was chives and not just some grass. What a surprise! That tiny, little piece of chive packed a punch. Much stronger chive flavour than when they get bigger. I planted a small pot's worth of chives about 10 years ago and they just keep coming back.

I just looked in my garden and they are just starting to come up. I tasted one, to make sure it was chives and not just some grass. What a surprise! That tiny, little piece of chive packed a punch. Much stronger chive flavour than when they get bigger. I planted a small pot's worth of chives about 10 years ago and they just keep coming back.

When we lived in the Cleveland, OH suburbs there was a stretch of county park I would drive along to and from work. Each year about this time the the spring onions would pop up in the grass area between the road and the woods. Smelled so good on the way home I wanted to stop and gather some to use in my meals!

Salt. Nothing matters if you don't have salt.

Close on the heels of salt are onions (of all varieties) and garlic.

But assuming salt is a given (and onions and garlic) ...

SPICES
Cumin
Cardamom
Ajwan (carom seed)
cloves
Fennel

HERBS
coriander/cilantro
Holy basil
Thyme
Tarragon
Rosemary

I'd like to put saffron on the list but it simply costs too much to be "reached for" very often. Which just makes it all the more special, I guess.

And no, pepper is not on my list, not even close. I almost never use black pepper.

Garlic
Ginger
Coriander
Oregano
Cinnamon

Chili powder, Allspice, and Mace would be honorable mentions.

I go through a lot of garlic, fresh and granulated. I use a lot of fresh onion and lime as seasoning but I don't really count them as herbs/spices, just flavorings. Otherwise they would knock oregano and allspice off the list. Black pepper would be number one but the OP said it doesn't count.

The top five spices of myself are: Black peppercorns (of the grinder), bay leaves, cayenne pepper, cumin, and nutmeg.

I also love the cinnamon and the paprika.

~Cat

I need your help! One of my next blogs will be on kitchen spices, so I would love it if you could help, by sharing your preferences with me :chef:

QUESTION: What FIVE spices do you tend to grab MOST OFTEN (not including Salt & Pepper)

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Garlic Powder
Fresh Nutmeg (grated)
Cinnamon
Tarragon
Oregano
cinnamon, nutmeg (whole, not ground), ginger, paprika and caraway seed (I love old-fashioned seed cake). Not necessarily in that order.

As you are writing an article about spices I'll throuw in other frequently used spices from my cupboard. I also have sumac, black, green, white and pink peppercorns, cayenne pepper, white and black mustard seeds and mustard powder (I see on various demos on Food Network that Mr Colman of Norfolk, England has managed to insinuate his yellow mustard powder into the USA).

I also have Grey Poupon Dijon mustard and their whole grain mustard in the 'fridge.

I cheat when it comes to making chilli. I use Schwartz mix for chilli con carne (the milder one) it's the one I like best and I've never managed to replicate it from scratch.

(Nit picking) tarragon and oregano are herbs not spices.

cinnamon, nutmeg (whole, not ground), ginger, paprika and caraway seed (I love old-fashioned seed cake). Not necessarily in that order.

As you are writing an article about spices I'll throuw in other frequently used spices from my cupboard. I also have sumac, black, green, white and pink peppercorns, cayenne pepper, white and black mustard seeds and mustard powder (I see on various demos on Food Network that Mr Colman of Norfolk, England has managed to insinuate his yellow mustard powder into the USA).

I also have Grey Poupon Dijon mustard and their whole grain mustard in the 'fridge.

I cheat when it comes to making chilli. I use Schwartz mix for chilli con carne (the milder one) it's the one I like best and I've never managed to replicate it from scratch.

(Nit picking) tarragon and oregano are herbs not spices.

It's always a good idea to read the entire thread before nit-picking ;) We discussed that. And since the thread was started last December, I figure the blog post is written and posted by now.

I mix these together for my All Purpose spice blend and use on just about everything (I count it as 1 spice (blend)):

Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning
Accent (or MSG)
Salt
Ground peppercorn blend
Ground Hot red pepper flakes
Cayenne
Hungarian (hot and sweet) Paprika

Additional spices/herbs:
Smoked paprika
Dry oregano

MSMOFET, what do you use the Goya spices for? I love using the Sazon Goya in rice and would love to expand further with other Goya spices. Do you have any recipes you could send me? Thanks.

MSMOFET, what do you use the Goya spices for? I love using the Sazon Goya in rice and would love to expand further with other Goya spices. Do you have any recipes you could send me? Thanks.
I only use Goya adobo - I use it to season just about everything.

herbs as fresh garlic , onions ( white red or yellow),parsley,bay leaf, thyme,basil
spices in powder: curry, coriander,turmeric,paprika, ras el hanout (couscous spices).
Hot Dijon mustard, lemons, vinegars of cider, of wine or balsamic. Olive, sunflower,ground nut oils.

Back
Top Bottom