YOUR Top 5 Spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oregano, thyme, coriander, rosemary, dill + allspice; but I need cumin for my lentil stew, marjoram for some pork dishes, and black caraway + juniper berries for cooking sauerkraut.
Then, there's fennel seeds + basil for some tomato sauces, and green peppercorns for rabbit stew.
Then for stollen, lebkuchen, etc. ---- :pig:
PS paprika and bay leaves are essential to many of my favorite savory dishes.

Last edited:
Looks like most of us are hard pressed to find just five. I had to think hard and leave out so many. I had forgotten a lot of things and didn't include herbs, which I use so often - bay, thyme, parsley, oregano, etc. then of course there is saffron and noble paprika, and the smoked pimenton paprika of Spain, dulce and piquante. So many things to choose from, that's why I have a drawer and a couple of DIY chests/containers for them.:LOL:

Cinnamon
Garlic Powder
Cayenne Ground Pepper or Red Pepper Flakes
Bay Leaves
Turmeric

Also-rans are cumin, ginger, mustard, dill, paprika

one thing that has me somewhat confused about this interesting exercise is whether we are focusing strictly on those herbs and spices we most commonly use--the ones it would be most difficult to cook or eat without?
or, as some respondents seem to be interpreting--which herbs and spices are we most partial to? some of our 'favorites' are not used anywhere nearly as often as those we reach for, and add to our foods as a habit-- daily, and without fanfare.

are you allowing herbs de province? isn't that a bit like sneaking in 6-8 of your favorite herbs, and getting to count them as just one?

Last edited:
This is a tough one!!! I use lots of spices and love them all but I'll try.

Ground coriander
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper

Fresh I would say....
Curry paste
Parsley
Mint
Basil
Chillies

It was easy for me to pick the top three or four as I just thought of which jar constantly needs refilled

I make my own taco and fajita seasonings.

I tried that a couple times (different recipes) and it always gave me some serious heartburn/angina or something... heavy chest, shallow breaths, close to nausea... I stick to premix and don't have that problem. Weird, I know. You would think it would be the other way around.

I tried that a couple times (different recipes) and it always gave me some serious heartburn/angina or something... heavy chest, shallow breaths, close to nausea... I stick to premix and don't have that problem. Weird, I know. You would think it would be the other way around.
That is weird. Did you use the same ingredients as the ones in the premix? Stirling made up his own taco seasoning recipe by experimenting with the ingredients listed on the packet from Old El Paso, leaving out the sugar, flour, and weird stuff.

I mix these together for my All Purpose spice blend and use on just about everything (I count it as 1 spice (blend)):

Granulated Garlic powder
Onion powder
Goya Adobo seasoning
Accent (or MSG)
Salt
Ground peppercorn blend
Ground Hot red pepper flakes
Cayenne
Hungarian (hot and sweet) Paprika

Additional spices/herbs:
Smoked paprika
Dry oregano

Pac, maybe your lungs ingested some powder ingredients. Maybe if you used chile peppers, the peppers released some powerful fumes. I think just toasting some seeds releases quite a bit of oil sometimes. Which, generally, we like for the aroma produced. Maybe a little of something goes a long way for you.

My interpretation of the question is which spices/herbs do we use most often, not which are our favorites. The two might not be the same. For example, I love cardamom pods, but I don't use them very often or in anything other than Indian cooking.

I'm also really surprised by the number of people who mention onion or garlic powder. I own a jar of garlic powder, but it's probably been in my cupboard for 5 years and only gets used if I'm making a dry rub. I usually can't find it because it's in the back behind everything else.

I guess this would be my list:

1. Thyme
  2. Basil
  3. Oregano
  4. Spanish Paprika
  5. Cumin seed

Pac, maybe your lungs ingested some powder ingredients. Maybe if you used chile peppers, the peppers released some powerful fumes. I think just toasting some seeds releases quite a bit of oil sometimes. Which, generally, we like for the aroma produced. Maybe a little of something goes a long way for you.

Yeah, cumin!
:ROFLMAO:

I don't know what the problem was, or if the ingredients were the same as the packages. I just know that for as often as I use a Mex spice blend I was better off tearing a packet or opening a jar.

Salt & Pepper are #1 but since you asked that they be excluded here's my list.

Cumin.
Oregano.
Garlic.
Cayanne pepper.
and
Bacon. ;)

Hey it's a spice to me because it goes with so much.

But if ya want something else I'd have to say
Mustard or Thyme.

Back
Top Bottom