YOUR Top 5 Spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol @ a Lucy Van Pelt reference. lou know, i think i married her.

maddie, love it - insinuate. is coleman's yellow mustard the spicy one i know and is sinus clearingly famous for , or is it a blander, more pedestrian mustard?

hmm, i have all of your lesser used spices except the black mustard seed.

oh, i wanted to mention that using a chili powder mix is about the sane as any prepared shortcut: you only realize the difference when you make it fresh. grinding your own dried chilis (especially chipotle) makes all the difference.

for chili.

maddie, love it - insinuate. is coleman's yellow mustard the spicy one i know and is sinus clearingly famous for , or is it a blander, more pedestrian mustard?

oh, i wanted to mention that using a chili powder mix is about the sane as any prepared shortcut: you only realize the difference when you make it fresh. grinding your own dried chilis (especially chipotle) makes all the difference.

for chili.

Looooong time no hear from! Hope you're back for the duration!?!

for chili.
Agree completely re: grinding your own chili powder mix. Glad to see you haven't abandoned us--you've been missed along the culinary trail. How is that boy of yours??? Missed tales of his ball games, scout troop activities, etc.

I thought this would be easy, however I'm finding it deceptively difficult to narrow my choices down. In no particular order:

Garlic powder
Chili powder
Cumin
Red pepper flakes
Tumeric

5¢???? Guess I'm old like the thread. I always thought it was 2¢. :ermm:

Well there is that inflation thingy. ;)

lucy van pelt.jpg

:LOL:

I Love Lucy.

But that's another age related statement. ;)

I'm more like Pigpen with the dust cloud following me where ever I go. :LOL:

Here's another reason I love Lucy.

Attachments

• Copy IMG_0134.jpg
    Copy IMG_0134.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 178
I need your help! One of my next blogs will be on kitchen spices, so I would love it if you could help, by sharing your preferences with me :chef:

QUESTION: What FIVE spices do you tend to grab MOST OFTEN (not including Salt & Pepper)

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Garlic Powder
Fresh Nutmeg (grated)
Cinnamon
Tarragon
Oregano
Tarragon, oregano and garlic are herbs not spices.

I have a drawer full of jars of spices and herbs and my usage depends on what I'm cooking:-

Spices
allspice,
mixed spice,
star anise
ginger,
nutmeg (not grated - grate it as I use it as the flavour is better)
saffron stamens
coriander (whole seed and ground)
cumin (whole seed and ground)
cardamon
chili flakes
cayenne
chili powder (mix for making chili con carne)
mustard powder
bharat
ras el hanout
sumac
caraway seed
garlic (NEVER powder or dried & chopped or in a jar - ALWAYS fresh!)

Herbs (Some dried & some home grown fresh)
basil
sage
thyme
mixed herbs
oregano
tarragon
rosemary
marjoram
chives
parsley
winter savory
chives
bay leaves
English mace leaves

Wouldn't be able to choose 5 of each let alone an assortment of 5 herbs and spices.

Last edited:
Herbs are leaves, so garlic is not an herb.

Garlic is a flavorful bulb, like an onion. It is a member of the lily family, along with ramps, leaks, onions, and chives. They all have varying degrees of flavor, with garlic and onion being the strongest. I believe if we wanted to be accurate, we could say that they are strongly flavored vegetables, and in the case of all but the garlic, are used as such, as well as used as flavorings. Garlic is always used to flavor foods, sometimes in its roasted sweet form, sometimes raw, and often cooked into various dishes. I don't think it can rightly be classified as an herb, or spice. And that's my best explanation, based purely on extrapolation and logic, and my best guess.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a packet of smoked salt that I can't remember what I bought it to use for. Maybe it was for salmon...not sure. :LOL:

Last edited:
Garlic is a flavorful bulb, like an onion. It is a member of the lily family, along with ramps, leaks, onions, and chives. They all have varying degrees of flavor, with garlic and onion being the strongest. I believe if we wanted to be accurate, we could say that they are strongly flavored vegetables, and in the case of all but the garlic, are used as such, as well as used as flavorings. Garlic is always used to flavor foods, sometimes in its roasted sweet form, sometimes raw, and often cooked into various dishes. I don't think it can rightly be classified as an herb, or spice. And that's my best explanation, based purely on extrapolation and logic, and my best guess.

I'll buy that :) I was thinking that spices are any plant part other than the leaves, but the definition is *dried* plant parts other than leaves. So if you're using fresh garlic, it's an aromatic seasoning, but if it's dried or granulated garlic, it's a spice.

garlic (NEVER powder or dried & chopped or in a jar - ALWAYS fresh!)

Sorry, I didn't mean "fresh" as in the sense of just dug out of the ground. I meant "fresh" as in not messed about. In other words dried whole heads. (Although we can sometimes buy "wet" garlic here). Wrong choice of words.

But I still say it's a herb. ;)

In old cookery books both garlic and onions are referred to as herbs

And the young leaves of garlic are often eaten in Europe.

In old cookery books both garlic and onions are referred to as herbs

And the young leaves of garlic are often eaten in Europe.

After i made my post, I went online and did a search for classifying garlic as an herb or spice. Here is the link to an article I found on the subject:
What Is Garlic? Is it an Herb, a Spice or...?

I do have to admit though, that most of the articles that looked professional, and authoritative stated that garlic is both a vegetable, and an herb. I believe that is the most correct answer.

seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

After i made my post, I went online and did a search for classifying garlic as an herb or spice. Here is the link to an article I found on the subject:
What Is Garlic? Is it an Herb, a Spice or...?

I do have to admit though, that most of the articles that looked professional, and authoritative stated that garlic is both a vegetable, and an herb. I believe that is the most correct answer.

seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The author of that piece is the same guy who slammed a scientific study of the safety of wooden cutting boards by cherry-picking from the study and misrepresenting the conclusions.

I'll just stick with what I said earlier.

The author of that piece is the same guy who slammed a scientific study of the safety of wooden cutting boards by cherry-picking from the study and misrepresenting the conclusions.

I'll just stick with what I said earlier.

GG, I'm in your camp on this one. I believe that garlic satisfies the requirements of both a vegetable, and an herb. It certainly is considered an herb by most herbalists. And, I don't think anyone uses garlic cloves as a veggie.

"Honey, pass the bowl of roasted garlic please.":ohmy::LOL::D

GG, I'm in your camp on this one. I believe that garlic satisfies the requirements of both a vegetable, and an herb. It certainly is considered an herb by most herbalists. And, I don't think anyone uses garlic cloves as a veggie.

"Honey, pass the bowl of roasted garlic please.":ohmy::LOL::D

Hey, remember who you're talking to! :mrgreen: :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom