"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My romaine lettuce bottoms are starting to sprout. If it grows roots, I will use the pot from the basil and the pot from the parsley. Those are full of compost. The rest of my compost is in the garden under lots of snow.

I'm starting to visualize my deck with all the pots growing my produce for the summer.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The article said to wait for roots. I have no roots yet.
No roots? What was that white tendril peeking out from one of your pics? Or was that just an optical illusion/reflection/my eyes?

Old 03-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #33
Head Chef

This is probably not the right thread----- but I'll ask it anyway.
Has anyone ever grown basil (from a start, not seed) indoors? In the winter? Or as soon as basil starts are available. (Nurseries always push the season)

I have plants under a grow light (no, not that kind!) because my front room is fairly dark. So I could grow some basil IF it has some success. In the summer a friend supplies with with all the fresh basil I might need for cooking but winter-----of course not.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
This is probably not the right thread----- but I'll ask it anyway.
Has anyone ever grown basil (from a start, not seed) indoors? In the winter? Or as soon as basil starts are available. (Nurseries always push the season)

I have plants under a grow light (no, not that kind!) because my front room is fairly dark. So I could grow some basil IF it has some success. In the summer a friend supplies with with all the fresh basil I might need for cooking but winter-----of course not.
I've sucessfully overwintered basil, just dug it up and potted it. It gets kinda ratty looking, but still tasty. You should be able to grow seeds, starts, etc. indoors no problem. You might even try rooting it from cuttings.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Rosauer's, my main grocer, has live basil for sale in the produce department. I can put that in water and it goes nuts! Now if I could keep the cats out of it, I would have fresh basil.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Rosauer's, my main grocer, has live basil for sale in the produce department. I can put that in water and it goes nuts! Now if I could keep the cats out of it, I would have fresh basil.
I've seen those----- and I'll try that. How long will it last in water? under lights?
Define 'nuts'.

Thanks to both PF and Dawglover
Old 03-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
I've seen those----- and I'll try that. How long will it last in water? under lights?
Define 'nuts'.

Basil is a member of the mint family, as is catnip. Yeh, cats like it, a lot.
Definition of nuts -
Definition #2 - Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Define 'nuts'.

It had new leaves almost every day, I had a hard time keeping up with it, even with the cats mauling it every night. One night one of the cats really went crazy over it and there was nothing left, I never replaced it.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It had new leaves almost every day, I had a hard time keeping up with it.
I most definitely will try that. Then when the weather is nice I'll try planting one/two in an outside planter. The problem, my tiny apartment patio is shaded for most of the day---- not deep shade but not full sun, like basil likes but worth a try.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I most definitely will try that. Then when the weather is nice I'll try planting one/two in an outside planter. The problem, my tiny apartment patio is shaded for most of the day---- not deep shade but not full sun, like basil likes but worth a try.
I live in a daylight basement with no daylight...it grew fine by the sink. My patio just bakes during the day, so it's hard to grow anything outside.

Tags
food, kitchen