16 Foods That'll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never had a belly ache from chocolate and I have eaten much more than my share of chocolate!

My celery butt is turning brown on the top. Is that OK? It looks gross. How far down was I supposed to cut it?

It's twice as big today as it was yesterday. I know at some point I'm supposed to plant this. I will have to go back to the link and read it. It's free, and I just want to see what happens.

It's twice as big today as it was yesterday. I know at some point I'm supposed to plant this. I will have to go back to the link and read it. It's free, and I just want to see what happens.
The first one I did is about 3 inches tall, lots of leaves (I figured even if all I got were leaves, I use those in stock and chopped up in salads), I was getting more for my $ than if I tossed the "butt" in the compost (which the girls would then eat...so I guess I get it recycled in eggs...). Anyway, I think you have to wait for the roots to grow before planting. I too will have to go back to the link!

The article said to wait for roots. I have no roots yet. I just put mine in a small bowl with cool tap water. I put it in on the 10th. I noticed the first growth yesterday, the 14th, and today the growth looks twice as big as yesterday. Each day I change the water and I submerge the top in the water to moisten it. The directions said to spray it with water. I will take a pic and post it.

It says you can do this with bok choy too. Another one I will try.

Last edited:
My romaine lettuce bottoms are starting to sprout. If it grows roots, I will use the pot from the basil and the pot from the parsley. Those are full of compost. The rest of my compost is in the garden under lots of snow.

Pics of celery.

Attachments

• celery 001.jpg
    celery 001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 247
  • celery 002.jpg
    celery 002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 226
  • celery 003.jpg
    celery 003.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 239
  • celery 004.jpg
    celery 004.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 241
My romaine lettuce bottoms are starting to sprout. If it grows roots, I will use the pot from the basil and the pot from the parsley. Those are full of compost. The rest of my compost is in the garden under lots of snow.

I'm starting to visualize my deck with all the pots growing my produce for the summer.

This is probably not the right thread----- but I'll ask it anyway.
Has anyone ever grown basil (from a start, not seed) indoors? In the winter? Or as soon as basil starts are available. (Nurseries always push the season)

I have plants under a grow light (no, not that kind!) because my front room is fairly dark. So I could grow some basil IF it has some success. In the summer a friend supplies with with all the fresh basil I might need for cooking but winter-----of course not.

This is probably not the right thread----- but I'll ask it anyway.
Has anyone ever grown basil (from a start, not seed) indoors? In the winter? Or as soon as basil starts are available. (Nurseries always push the season)

I have plants under a grow light (no, not that kind!) because my front room is fairly dark. So I could grow some basil IF it has some success. In the summer a friend supplies with with all the fresh basil I might need for cooking but winter-----of course not.

I've sucessfully overwintered basil, just dug it up and potted it. It gets kinda ratty looking, but still tasty. You should be able to grow seeds, starts, etc. indoors no problem. You might even try rooting it from cuttings.

Rosauer's, my main grocer, has live basil for sale in the produce department. I can put that in water and it goes nuts! Now if I could keep the cats out of it, I would have fresh basil.

Rosauer's, my main grocer, has live basil for sale in the produce department. I can put that in water and it goes nuts! Now if I could keep the cats out of it, I would have fresh basil.

I've seen those----- and I'll try that. How long will it last in water? under lights?
Define 'nuts'. :)

Thanks to both PF and Dawglover

I've seen those----- and I'll try that. How long will it last in water? under lights?

Basil is a member of the mint family, as is catnip. Yeh, cats like it, a lot.
Definition of nuts - :w00t2:
Definition #2 - Chief Longwind of the North

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It had new leaves almost every day, I had a hard time keeping up with it, even with the cats mauling it every night. One night one of the cats really went crazy over it and there was nothing left, I never replaced it.

It had new leaves almost every day, I had a hard time keeping up with it.

I most definitely will try that. Then when the weather is nice I'll try planting one/two in an outside planter. The problem, my tiny apartment patio is shaded for most of the day---- not deep shade but not full sun, like basil likes but worth a try.

I most definitely will try that. Then when the weather is nice I'll try planting one/two in an outside planter. The problem, my tiny apartment patio is shaded for most of the day---- not deep shade but not full sun, like basil likes but worth a try.

I live in a daylight basement with no daylight...it grew fine by the sink. My patio just bakes during the day, so it's hard to grow anything outside.

Back
Top Bottom