2 Garden plots, many questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
OK, here goes. I apologize if I confuse....

The top 2 pics are of the plot in question. I am constantly fighting the next door field that would like to continue growing into it, also little yellow beetles that eat my basil until the end of June (then it grows fine), and critter mounds that appear all over it. It is 3 years old, and the soil is getting to a point where its great!

The next is the new one, a year old, and no fighting prairie grass or bugs.
I intend to expand it by double this or next year.

The last is part of the distance in between, to show I don't have much sun to go anywhere else!

#1. Would you abandon the smaller, older, difficult garden all together, or keep fighting and keep growing the larger veggies in it. (Squash, corn, zukes, etc.)

#2. Abandon and take the dirt from it to add to the larger newer garden...... possibly taking the annoying critters and bugs with it.

#3. If i decide on keeping the plot in question, how do I reclaim it from the crabgrass, and will continuing my cinder block wall help keep it out?

I think that's all. Mostly. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 179
Crabgrass spreads underneath the surface. A thin trench about 12" deep and a sheetmetal barrier should keep it at bay, unless it goes to seed and you get a decent wind. lol

Whichever one get's the most sun and is closer to the house is the plot I would focus on. If you're having a heck of a time with weeds, you could build a raised garden with a barrier underneath. You would still get weeds, but only from airborne germination.

You'll most likely just have to deal with the bugs. You can tailor your garden to things they won't eat or grow a few plants inside using a grow lamp.

Edit: I spent alot of time rejuvinating my lawn when we bought the house. It was and still is a constant battle. My neighbor had a yard full of weeds that would germinate in my lawn constantly. They finally got around to putting some grass down so it's not too bad now. Whatever is growing nearby, will at somepoint land in your yard.

Last edited:
the bigger, newer one is farther..... but gets a little better sun...
see how the grass isn't green there? It gets too hot and sunny to grow well but the veggies love it!!!
I wish I could get the whole place in 1 good pic for more suggestions, but I don't have access to a helicopter.

The sun is the key. There's so many trees around my house (even after I took two bigazz ones down) that I only had one spot to plant.

"Let the sun shine in" lol

img_597621_0_0e7882efc64d8592cd814f938fedb612.jpg

img_597621_1_8f81f550cc9b01d42be38650a07de823.jpg

Last edited:
we've cut down about 5 big oaks a year for 3 years now, made barely a dent.
I feel your pain.
Know anyone that want some nice oak to make furniture out of??? Free wood, you cut. :)

Sorta off-topic but this was the critter problem the first year... he sat there for about 1/2 and hour.
just thought it was cute. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 158
Back
Top Bottom