Advice for a gardener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foodie-4-Life

Assistant Cook
I love to entertain friends and family at my house, especially outside! I am looking for pleasant aromatic herbs that also have culinary uses. Currently, I have sage and mint, but I would love suggestions for other plants. Any ideas?

I have very limited space to grow herbs but I can't do without my basil, parsley and chives. I have to watch my mint so it doesn't take over my available space. Mint is such a bully!!

Perennial Basil, it helps keep the bugs off other plants and can be used in food.
Nasturtiums, they have pretty flowers and both the leaves and flowers can be used in Salad etc.
Jasmine, smells fab and you can use the flowers to infuse tea and homemade lemonade ( don't use the leaves though )
Lavender, looks and smells great and they can be used in baking. Lavender biscuits are devine! Lavender in a quiche is also good.
Rose scented geraniums, they are pretty hardy. They look and smell great and the leaves are great in herbal tea, you could also place a few at the bottom of you cake tins to make your cakes fragrant.
Thyme, very pretty and great in many dishes.
Lemon verbena, smells and looks beautiful and the leaves can be added to rice, fish, chicken etc. to flavour (just remove after cooking.
Rocket (arugula), great in salads and the flowers can be used as garnish.
I've got to many too mention, at my previous house I turned our entire yard into an edible garden for my kids.

Last edited:
Lemon balm is an easy perennial, as is fennel. Dill reseeds itself here in MO. Lavender is pretty hardy, as long as it keeps its feet dry in the winter. Lovage is perennial celery, a pretty plant that does tend to die back in really hot weather.

Scented geraniums are less useful in cooking, but they smell so good.

Back
Top Bottom