Aero (hydroponic) Garden questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dill? Seriously? Dill will take over your entire house if you let it; I don't even want to think what it will do in a limited space environment like that).

Actually, I think you're thinking of MINT, rather than dill. Dill will not only NOT take over your garden, but definitely will NOT take over any indoor pots or gardening systems. In fact, you should consider yourself lucky if you get enough dill to grow indoors to use.

Dill is a weed. Trust me, it grows exceptionally well. When I was in college my roommate had a closet garden he had made. The dill did everything short of eat his bowling ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again - I seriously believe you're mis-identifying your herbs Poppinfresh. Do you know what fresh dill looks like/tastes like, etc.?

Because, first of all, it's an annual. And a very tender annual that needs a really serious amount of light just to grow useable leaves never mind taking over a garden closet. What you're describing is virtually impossible.

Before you start spouting how much dill is a weed that will take over bowling balls, try growing some yourself & see what happens.

And take this advice from someone who's been growing herbs since the 1970's. I fully guarantee to anyone here that dill will definitely NOT take over anyone's garden, closet, or bowling ball.

don't listen to the know it alls, poppin.

almost any plant can be prolific in the right environment.

dw gave me an aerogarden for christmas. i hope to have the herbs up and running by next week.
if it works as well as promised, i'll buy another one or two to start my backyard garden seeds for the summer veggies. i've used dual 4 ft. flourescent grow lights many times before, but they've never worked as well as a real greenhouse supplanted with flourescent or sodium lights.

I don't sweat it. I'm no botanist, but I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between dill and mint. People will say what they will say.

I have grown herbs successfully for many years in an indoor hydroponics system. A friend of mine just brought an Emily's hydroponics system that she likes very much. I have read mixed reviews about the Aero system. But it looks attractive and I am sure you will be able to adapt it using some of the suggestion given by others.

Good luck with it. I am sure you will get many years of use and enjoyment.

there is another type but I don`t know what it`s called, but you use plain washed sand as the substrate for the roots and then just give it plain water and the nutrients as you would with hydroponics.
I`ve done this myself several times to great effect, you could call it Poor-Mans hydroponics :)
the good part is that you really don`t need Anything fancy in way of apparatus, I use plain old 400ml glass beakers.

I suppose you could use rockwool instead, no reason that shouldn`t work either.

:) I have a whole bunch of Romaine in mine right now its working great.I also think that you get optimum nutrients when you pick a live plant and eat it right away as opposed to days /weeks later when the plant is losing its life force.

My Aerogarden works pretty well. Not perfect, but I'm not the least bit dissatisfied with it.

My dill went rampant in it and had to constantly be trimmed to avoid it from being burnt on the bulbs. It's a pretty "sparse" plant so it didn't really do much blocking of light, it just grew huge really fast.

Basil seems to do the same thing in it.

Reviving a dead thread cause I just now saw it (and have been away for some months).

I still have mine, and it's still performing as I see fit. Presently it's growing chives, sage, and rosemary. My Macgyver-ing trick with the pods worked, so I just make my own pods now. I still maintain it wasn't the best purchase I ever made, but I have fresh herbs whenever I want them as I need them for the seasons.

Oh, *points to post above* HAH! I TOLD you guys dill would take over.

I just got one of these systems yesterday, so Im very curious if it will work as well as i hope. I also got my first seed catalogue yesterday too :) so I get to start planning next years outdoor garden too !!

Reviving a dead thread cause I just now saw it (and have been away for some months).

I still have mine, and it's still performing as I see fit. Presently it's growing chives, sage, and rosemary. My Macgyver-ing trick with the pods worked, so I just make my own pods now. I still maintain it wasn't the best purchase I ever made, but I have fresh herbs whenever I want them as I need them for the seasons.

Oh, *points to post above* HAH! I TOLD you guys dill would take over.

:) Oh, please tell me how you make your own pods the ones you buy are pricy for what you get. What do you feed your plants?

:) Oh, please tell me how you make your own pods the ones you buy are pricy for what you get. What do you feed your plants?

This is going to sound weird, but I used (use) foam hair curlers as replacement sponges. Couple that with some Miracle Grow and life is good.

This is going to sound weird, but I used (use) foam hair curlers as replacement sponges. Couple that with some Miracle Grow and life is good.
:) What a great idea. Do you stuff the foam in the plastic pods and where are you adding the Miracle Grow in the foam or in the water. Are you using powdered or liquid Miracle Grow and how much. I want to make sure I get it right:):)

Well - hubby gifted me with the "Deluxe" model for Xmas, so guess I'll be "Aerogardening" after all. How I keep the darn thing from becoming a kitty spa/salad bar should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom