"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Dill? Seriously? Dill will take over your entire house if you let it; I don't even want to think what it will do in a limited space environment like that).

Actually, I think you're thinking of MINT, rather than dill. Dill will not only NOT take over your garden, but definitely will NOT take over any indoor pots or gardening systems. In fact, you should consider yourself lucky if you get enough dill to grow indoors to use.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Dill is a weed. Trust me, it grows exceptionally well. When I was in college my roommate had a closet garden he had made. The dill did everything short of eat his bowling ball.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #23
Master Chef

Again - I seriously believe you're mis-identifying your herbs Poppinfresh. Do you know what fresh dill looks like/tastes like, etc.?

Because, first of all, it's an annual. And a very tender annual that needs a really serious amount of light just to grow useable leaves never mind taking over a garden closet. What you're describing is virtually impossible.

Before you start spouting how much dill is a weed that will take over bowling balls, try growing some yourself & see what happens.

And take this advice from someone who's been growing herbs since the 1970's. I fully guarantee to anyone here that dill will definitely NOT take over anyone's garden, closet, or bowling ball.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
Dill is a weed. Trust me, it grows exceptionally well. When I was in college my roommate had a closet garden he had made. The **** dill did everything short of eat his bowling ball.

lol Poppin.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

don't listen to the know it alls, poppin.

almost any plant can be prolific in the right environment.

dw gave me an aerogarden for christmas. i hope to have the herbs up and running by next week.
if it works as well as promised, i'll buy another one or two to start my backyard garden seeds for the summer veggies. i've used dual 4 ft. flourescent grow lights many times before, but they've never worked as well as a real greenhouse supplanted with flourescent or sodium lights.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #26
Senior Cook

I don't sweat it. I'm no botanist, but I'm pretty sure I can tell the difference between dill and mint. People will say what they will say.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I have grown herbs successfully for many years in an indoor hydroponics system. A friend of mine just brought an Emily's hydroponics system that she likes very much. I have read mixed reviews about the Aero system. But it looks attractive and I am sure you will be able to adapt it using some of the suggestion given by others.

Good luck with it. I am sure you will get many years of use and enjoyment.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
there is another type but I don`t know what it`s called, but you use plain washed sand as the substrate for the roots and then just give it plain water and the nutrients as you would with hydroponics.
I`ve done this myself several times to great effect, you could call it Poor-Mans hydroponics :)
the good part is that you really don`t need Anything fancy in way of apparatus, I use plain old 400ml glass beakers.

I suppose you could use rockwool instead, no reason that shouldn`t work either.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I have a whole bunch of Romaine in mine right now its working great.I also think that you get optimum nutrients when you pick a live plant and eat it right away as opposed to days /weeks later when the plant is losing its life force.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Any update on those Aero Gardens?

I'd like to bring some of my herbs and chilies indoors.