"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Head Chef

AeroGarden working much better than expected

Hey guys and gals,

Like many others out there, although loving the snow, im still imagining what next years garden is going to be like. Browsing through the catalogs, looking over last years plans wondering where I went right or in many cases wrong. This past holiday season i received an aerogarden as a gift. I was a little skeptical at first. Im not the type of person who likes to push a product on anyone, But in this case, I cant argue with success. I started the garden on December 24th. Here is a pic of my lettuce 2 1/2 weeks later. This week nice, home grown salad is on the menu. Ive got 4 different lettuces growing. In addition I got basil and mint too. It took me 10 minutes to set it up. The machine takes care of the light timer. lets me know when to add water, and the nutrition tablet. Other than that, just watch them grow ( germinated in 2 days) Oh yeah, got some arugula in there as well. At this point, they are growing so fast, im affraid to open the door. Kinda feels like Little shop of horrors!! But at least Ill be eating the plant instead of the alternative. Anyway, thanks for listening.

larry

Attached Images

Old 01-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Head Chef

Sorry, had to resize the pic so u can actually see what im talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	of=50,590,394.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	6641  

Old 01-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks for the info. Nice looking stuff but not exactly organic.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Head Chef

Yes, Larry, my stepmother has one and I was blown away when I saw all the beautiful herbs she had in there over Christmas! Yours looks fabulous, too!

Kinda pricey, so if anyone would like to send me one of these, please PM me and I will send you my address!

Lee
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks so much for the pic & the recommendation Larry!! I too was gifted with an Aerogarden "Deluxe" for Xmas from my husband. I haven't set it up yet because I still haven't decided on the best spot for it where I can enjoy it but at the same time keep the darn cats away from it - lol!! But it really is nice to know that it does in fact live up to all the promotional hype. Organic or not, your greens look gorgeous!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Head Chef

That was our first challenge also, finding a place all 5 cats cant get to. We have an extra room that we use as an office room (asa crap room). We can keep the door closed, and this room is seems to stay a little warmer than the rest of the house. as far as organic goes, it was never my intention to be organic, although outside i try my best ( ill never use pesticides), But miracle grow and other things i have no problems using.

larry
Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks for sharing that. Where can you buy these at?

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
That was our first challenge also, finding a place all 5 cats cant get to. We have an extra room that we use as an office room (asa crap room). We can keep the door closed, and this room is seems to stay a little warmer than the rest of the house. as far as organic goes, it was never my intention to be organic, although outside i try my best ( ill never use pesticides), But miracle grow and other things i have no problems using.

larry
Great minds think alike - lol!! With 6 horses at my manure-producing disposal, I too garden organically outdoors. How could I not, with all that wonderful compost at hand? That said, I'm also not adverse to using Miracle Grow products for my flowers & containers.

I now hope to get my Aerogrow set up really soon. I know, however, that at least one of the cats is just waiting for what he perceives is simply the combination tanning bed/sauna/salad bar Santa brought him for Xmas.

As far as where to buy these, here's the website, which frequently (if not always) offers free shipping. There are now SO many different models to choose from: little 3-pod desktops, triangular types to fit into corners, wall models, & gigundus ones that are fitted to grow full-size beefsteak tomatoes, peppers, etc., etc. Hard to find one that wouldn't fit someone's needs. Plus - lots of different seed choices, including ones that allow you to use your own seeds (that's what I'm really interested in).

AeroGarden®

Around here we've seen them sold at local stores, as well as Costco. Prices haven't really been much different than those at the company website.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Head Chef

I didn't see but one size. Where can I find the various sizes/prices?
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Unfortunately no matter what area of the link one clicks on, there's only one product to purchase. I, too, clicked on the link to learn more and that's what I encountered.