Ants on my lettuce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's bolted? I ripped out the romaine last Sunday because we didn't like the way it tastes. It had a weird earthy flavor.

The bibb was great until the ants came marching,
img_623757_0_c700034733ab9848dd568013819ff860.gif
. I pulled out some last night and there were all sorts of vegan critters in there. So that did it.

I have two arugula plants that are on crack. They're like two bushes now. I keep cutting off the blossoms, is that a good thing?

Bolting is when they grow a large stem out of the top and begin to flower. When this happens, the lettuce becomes bitter. You can hold it off for a while by pinching off the stem, but eventually it will go to seed and die.

When you want foliage out of a plant, always pinch or cut the flowers. That will cause them to create more leaves.

If you're squeamish about bugs on your produce, you might not want to grow your own ;) I usually have some critters in the salad spinner after washing my greens. They just go down the disposal. HTH.

I hear ya. It's just so convienient to have things like lettuce always on hand. Plus, we eat more of it. Oh well, at least I'll have a truck load of tomatoes and peppers. :rolleyes:

thanks gg. bolting to seed is just that.

jeeks, next time try an entire packet of a seed mix in a 10 foot row straight into the ground. since you overplant the heck out of it, you start harvesting whole plants as soon a they begin to develop. first as "micro-greens". you harvest a few plants in a clump, spacing it out to allow the rest to continue to grow into baby greens. then you continue to harvest every few whole plants while the now well spaced ones can grow completely.

my garden gets so much sun that i can't let cold weather stuff go too long. this hot weather is too much for everything except my hot peppers. even tomatoes won't pollinate above 90.

I bought the 9 pack plastic thingy from Lowes of tiny plants. They grew fine, we had a ton of lettuce just wasn't happy with the taste of the romaine and the bugs ruined my bibb. I would go out there with a paring knife and cut off some leaves for dinner.

I have a ton of different pepper/chile plants going. I'll be begging you and VB to take some, I'm sure.

if you like head lettuce, which usually has a milder flavor, then starting the seeds indoors (or buying from lowes) is the way to go. that way you can space the plants to allow the heads to form better.

we kinda like those earthy and green flavors, so we plant seed mixes that are stronger flavored plants. but at a certain point of heat and sun, almost all greens get bitter. too bitter to eat.

what kind of peppers did you grow? i'd be interested in a swap. vb has a garden too, so we may be able to do a three way with veggies. :mellow: umm, you know what i mean.

what kind of peppers did you grow? i'd be interested in a swap. vb has a garden too, so we may be able to do a three way with veggies. :mellow: umm, you know what i mean.

Burpee variety pack - Hungarian Wax, Anaheim. Large Cherry and Long Red Cayenne plus Jalapeno.

Habs, red chile, Georgia Flame (for the DW)....I have to see what else.

I already transplanted the Burpee plants into the garden where the romaine was. The Georgia Flames are about 2" tall. The package says to keep them 500' away because of cross pollination. Not sure if that means they will turn my other peppers or what?

I'll have a bazillion tomatoes. All different varieties. Already have little green ones on a couple plants.

For the bell peppers I have the regular 4-some of colors. Have to see what kind of yeild I get this year.

Better than ants in your pants.... I like the insectacidal soap, I am using the Safer brand and really like it. The only thing about it is that you have to apply it heavily and often.

Back
Top Bottom