Anybody have their garden planned yet out for 2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love gardening and being in the garden. A friend at worked asked if it was cost effective to which I replied, it depends how you look at it. If you see being out in the garden a chore, than no. For me its quiet , relaxing , exercise and rewarding all in one. When I get home from work, still in my shirt and tie, the first thing I do is head to the backyard to see what happened while I was gone. Grab a fe snacks from the garden, then head inside for dinner. Whats funny is thats exactly what my dad did. I dont think I could put a price on ho I feel about gardening, and all the fond memories of me and my dad in the garden back in the day.
I remember there was an article or book , something like ' The 60$ tomato'. This guy calculated time, effort and expenses and figured out that all that considered , the produce he was growing was extremely expensive when compared to what he can get in the store.
As I mentioned, for me , the experience and rewards are priceless.

I also like how my meals from late June through mid October are dictated by what's harvestable at the time. Its almost like a home version of chopped. I see what I got, then off to the kitchen I go.

Cant wait for a few more weeks, when things will be in full swing.

This thread is fascinating and I really admire what hard work it takes to have gardens like these. I wonder if I would have the energy it takes to grow such beautiful food even if I had the space. It must be that the rewards outweigh the labor involved and so it doesn't seem like work?
We only have space for a couple of in ground tomato plants and they are doing beautifully this year. So far we've had three big beautiful ripe ones already, with the promise of a bumper crop with just these two plants. We have some nice parsley and chives and our beloved Meyer Lemon tree that's really loaded with lemons now and the next crop will be in the winter.
For us, it's a combination of things. When I was working, I was on the computer or in meetings all day, so coming home and playing in the garden was a great way to get downtime from the tech world. And the reward was delicious, fresh vegetables and herbs that we grew ourselves! [emoji16] I'm not trying to feed a large family for a year on what we grow, but it's a great supplement and does save money since we have a very long season here. I rarely buy herbs anymore.

Since I've become less mobile, DH has taken over most of the gardening. After a long workday, he likes to spend time out there, for the exercise and for the yummy veggies :wub:

You probably have more space than you think. You can grow a lot of dwarf varieties in a vertical garden up walls with trellises or in containers.

You probably have more space than you think. You can grow a lot of dwarf varieties in a vertical garden up walls with trellises or in containers.
I have literally no room left. Th9ings are growing up , around, over ... everything. My garden as expanded outside the raised beds into the flower beds. I have pots all over my patio. I had a few left over chard, string beans and dwarf okra which I spent all day struggling to find a few square feet to plant them. Then I realized, my daughter may be coming in for the weekend for fathers day ( I think she wanted to surprised me , but I kinda heard my wife talking to her on the phone), so I planted a mini bucket ( or two) garden for her to take back to Maryland for her balcony. Before she left, I showed her a bunch of recipes and we cooked them together. One being a vegetable soup, which coincidentally has String beans and okra in it. So, the surprise. is on her :LOL:

I have literally no room left. Th9ings are growing up , around, over ... everything. My garden as expanded outside the raised beds into the flower beds. I have pots all over my patio. I had a few left over chard, string beans and dwarf okra which I spent all day struggling to find a few square feet to plant them. Then I realized, my daughter may be coming in for the weekend for fathers day ( I think she wanted to surprised me , but I kinda heard my wife talking to her on the phone), so I planted a mini bucket ( or two) garden for her to take back to Maryland for her balcony. Before she left, I showed her a bunch of recipes and we cooked them together. One being a vegetable soup, which coincidentally has String beans and okra in it. So, the surprise. is on her [emoji38]
Larry, I would love to see your garden. I bet it's amazing.

I just took a few as it is now, its a little crazy at the moment, since im still playing catch-up from being away for two weeks ( my sons graduation in Montana)

I got a pic from a few years ago so you can get the general layout , cause no everything is covered with growth.

Then another in April just before I went to Montana, things were in the works, had a lot to do in short amount of time

Then the current pic ( I took about 15 minutes ago)

And for all who may suggest, since I ran out of room, to start planting in the front yard, this one is of my front yard on the other side of the driveway, its my overflow garden .

Redoing windows, siding and all that next few weeks, so im holding off on the flowers and cosmetic landscape until theyre all done, I figure they'll just trample over everything .

Attachments

• Garden few years ago.jpg
    Garden few years ago.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Garden 0.jpg
    Garden 0.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Garden 1 .jpg
    Garden 1 .jpg
    134 KB · Views: 122
  • Garden front .jpg
    Garden front .jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 109
Larry, thank you for sharing pics. What a beautiful and bountiful haven you've got there!

I have a friend who is an avid "kitchen gardener". For her it's largely about the savings. She is disabled and if she earned any money, it would cut back her disability cheques. She had a huge garden for vegis the last place she lived. Now, she has a single raised bed in a community garden. She grows what she can in the space she has available. It makes a huge difference in what she has available to eat.

Thanks, As much as I like it and the way it looks, Id rather have a traditional plot of land and a tractor.

It was kind of inspired from a combination of every garden I've visited over the years while vacationing ( just on a much smaller scale than some of the crazy mansions Ive seen).

In the fall, sometimes I load it up with mums and those decorative cabbages.

Wonderful news!

Well the maintenance manager has finally started to work on my request for being able to grow stuff. I was going for a couple of tomato and cuke plants. But I called the building manager and told her to ask him to just set up a couple of construction buckets with stones in the bottom and dirt on the top. I am going to start out with just planting herbs. And maybe one tomato plant and cuke each. The bucket comes up to my knees and I can tend to it very easily. I don't even have to stand up or kneel down. Bucket gardens are plentiful around here in the summer. It is only because maintenance tills the ground every year for the planters. Less work for the planters. The buckets only cost five dollars. And you can buy a large bag or two of rocks for a miniscule amount.

Home Depot, here I come. I need a distraction right about now.

I'm very pleased to hear that Addie. I wish you bountiful harvests of herbs, cukes, tomatoes and especially enjoyment.

I was thinking of asking earlier if you had considered growing anything indoors. The cost of small scale artificial lighting has come down a lot lately and some senior apartments include electricity in the monthly rent; mine does. You have to be careful not to spend more than you'll ever recover in food savings, but indoor harvests aren't seasonally limited. Not suggesting this instead of those outdoor plants though.

I'm very pleased to hear that Addie. I wish you bountiful harvests of herbs, cukes, tomatoes and especially enjoyment.

I was thinking of asking earlier if you had considered growing anything indoors. The cost of small scale artificial lighting has come down a lot lately and some senior apartments include electricity in the monthly rent; mine does. You have to be careful not to spend more than you'll ever recover in food savings, but indoor harvests aren't seasonally limited. Not suggesting this instead of those outdoor plants though.

I get no sunlight here in this apartment except on the top of the kitchen wall. I have a two story window in the small bedroom with a very thin sill at the bottom. That is where most of the light for this apartment comes in. We have blinds and my apartment is set back in a V shaped corner. On the right side are the windows for the hall way, and if I leave the blinds up or open, folks waiting for the elevator can see right into my apartment. And I have caught many trying to look in. So now the blinds stay down and closed. I have to keep the lights on all day.

Would love to have plants on a window sill. Just not feasible. But I have the largest apartment in the building and am not willing to give it up for a couple of plants. Not even for a handicap apartment.

Time for me to get out of my wheelchair. Have been sitting in it since early this morning.

Great setup, Larry! And I agree with you - gardening is a great therapeutic hobby, and that and cooking go hand in hand! I grow very little non-edibles, unless they are flowers to attract beneficial insects, for the vegetables, but many edibles are in my flower beds in the front.

What do you grow in that hoop house? I use one in the fall/winter to grow some cold resistant greens, under remnant greenhouse plastic. Unfortunately, it's hard to get to, once it's covered with snow, even though that insulates it!

When I lived in Everett, I was the one who took care of the lawn and backyard. We had the best looking front and back yards on the street. From early spring to late fall the front of the house always had a plethora of flowers in bloom and the lawn was perfect. I was advised to plant rye grass. I hate the look of it and you have to reseed every year with it. So I seeded with Kentucky Bluegrass. The lawn was lush and thick. Always needed mowing. I went by there last year and the irises were still in bloom but the grass needed mowing. The irises do need to be thinned out though. At least I left a small plot on earth just a little better than I found it.

larry, you sure do a remarkable job with a normal-sized yard! Love how things are going along. Have you officially run out of grass to mow? :LOL: Veggies are much tastier, for sure.

larry, you sure do a remarkable job with a normal-sized yard! Love how things are going along. Have you officially run out of grass to mow? :LOL: Veggies are much tastier, for sure.

Slowly, but surely , the grass is disappearing as the garden grows. Im an 'if you can eat it, im going to grow it' kinda guy. The only thing thats keeping me from expanding it further is the shade issue. That part of the yard is shaded and that would mean id have to cut down some trees, and I love my privacy ( and dont like my neighbors that much ).

What do you grow in that hoop house? I use one in the fall/winter to grow some cold resistant greens, under remnant greenhouse plastic. Unfortunately, it's hard to get to, once it's covered with snow, even though that insulates it!

The hoop house in the pic is actually what's left of a hoop house, which I now converted to a trellis for cukes or pole beans to grow up.

Originally I would keep cabbages in there with a netting or a transparent crop cover to keep the white cabbage moths from invading. Honestly, I did a Half- A$$ed job, so I got crappy results. A moth or two got in ( couldn't get out) so went egg laying crazy on everything inside. Moth 1 : Larry 0

I finally finished my 3 gardens. We have had so much rain in the Finger Lakes of New York that I'm running late.
The lower garden has, green, red and jalapeno peppers, carrots, onions, heirloom, beef steak, roma, san Marzano, grape and yellow cherry tomatoes.
The back garden has corn, broccoli, brussels sprouts, watermelon, yellow summer & zucchini squash, cucumbers and celery. I decided to skip the pumpkins this year. Probably regret it come October. Then my herb garden, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, dill, rosemary, lavender and mint in a bucket. Also trying growing potatoes in a container this year. I have sunflowers also in each garden. Think this will keep me busy.

Back
Top Bottom