Anyone else frustrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I live in the upper Midwest, (NW IL), and we've have a freakishly warm spring. I'm looking at my little gardening plots and really, really wanting to get out there and get started. On the up side, we're having more time to get those beds prepared this year. The tradition is that you plant frost-vulnerable plants after Mothers' Day. Last year we had our last frost several days after that. Even one of my greenhouse owners had signs on her basil plants warning, DO NOT PLANT OUTSIDE NOW!! My perennial and biannual herbs are up and thriving and in use already. I've got my spinach planted and started to come up, and will probably chance lettuce soon. It's so tempting to jump the season. I suppose luckily, the stores don't even start to carry seedlings that can't survive a frost for awhile yet! Otherwise we'd all be tempting fate.

I'm having the same situation, Claire! Must....wait...till...May....

We just got back from the garden... Kathleen put in lots of stuff.

That doesn't help does it? :)

We just got back from the garden... Kathleen put in lots of stuff.

That doesn't help does it? :)

Me too!

If the world gives me good weather, I'm not gonna look the gift horse in the mouth; I'm gonna plant!:LOL:

Patience is virtue, virtue is Grace, and Grace is a little girl who never washed her face.

With last week's super warm weather, it was really, really tempting to put some seeds in. This week's weather proved that that would've been a bad decision. But, I have had the "chicken tillers" out cleaning out stinging nettle, etc., along the deer fencing around the garden. They are such good workers.

I AM struggling with this warm weather spring because I HAVE planted before memorial day a couple times and then it froze and all my transplants were frozen off. Then, I have to start over and BUY transplants. $$$

Our season is too short as it is, this would just be the BEST weather to plant in and I'm just afraid, very afraid. Yet I'll be wasting the best spring in recent history.:(

I'm also afraid the beautiful pear blossoms will be frozen off if we get snow this week. The apple trees are almost into blossoms too.

The only thing I have confidence in are the garlic gardens, garlic will recover a late frost. I'm betting the leeks we over wintered will recover too.

blissful said:
I AM struggling with this warm weather spring because I HAVE planted before memorial day a couple times and then it froze and all my transplants were frozen off. Then, I have to start over and BUY transplants. $$$

Our season is too short as it is, this would just be the BEST weather to plant in and I'm just afraid, very afraid. Yet I'll be wasting the best spring in recent history.:(

I'm also afraid the beautiful pear blossoms will be frozen off if we get snow this week. The apple trees are almost into blossoms too.

The only thing I have confidence in are the garlic gardens, garlic will recover a late frost. I'm betting the leeks we over wintered will recover too.

We're supposed to get a hard freeze tomorrow night. I'm gonna suck it up and wait to plant till around Mothers Day, as usual.

My blueberries are blooming, and my apple tree's blooms are about done. A hard freeze will mean no fruit, we shall see. I can cover the BBs, the apple tree is too big.

Last edited:
We're supposed to get a hard freeze tomorrow. I'm gonna suck it up and wait to plant till around Mothers Day, as usual.

My blueberries are blooming, and my apple tree's blooms are about done. A hard freeze will mean no fruit, we shall see. I can cover the BBs, the apple tree is too big.

You lucky duck, with blueberries!
Our apple trees are too big too--but, should push come to shove, I guess I could take every available bed sheet out and throw them as high as I could onto parts of the apple tree. I wonder if I'd get apples just on the parts I protected? I might have to find out this year.
They are predicting 31 degrees F for a low for Mon and Tuesday for here.
Sheets on the trees--I'm sure my neighbors will think it looks nice.:rolleyes:

We're supposed to get a hard freeze tomorrow night. I'm gonna suck it up and wait to plant till around Mothers Day, as usual.

Would smudge pots work for the apple tree?

I've tilled a few times and flirted with a few seeds. Friday is my goal for beet and pea seeds if the soil is a touch warmer. I'm wondering what this will do to the strawberry and blueberry fields we pick in...

I have a blueberry bush, its just coming back to life after the winter.

I had a glut of blueberries last year. I got 12 from it. Oh yes. Stored them all up so I could make pots and pots of jam.

Hoping for 13 this year.

I am in southeast Missouri, and I have planted a number of things. Our average last frost date is about May 1, and to be really safe, tender things should not be planted til about Mother's Day here. I start watching the 10 day forecast about mid April--if it looks warm enough, I might put the tomatoes out a little early.

I planted spring things--lettuce, spinach, kohlrabi, potatoes. And I got brave and put a row of green beans (actually, purple beans--they are gorgeous in the picking basket!). I figure if the frost does come to nip them off, I am out the price of half a packet of seeds. The tomatoes and peppers are still on the porch--I am a lazy gardener, and keeping them frost free on the porch is lots easier than trying to cover them in the garden.

I definitely have been taking advantage of the weather. The tree trimmers dumped 2 dump truck loads of chips for me!! I am most of the way thru one load, using it for paths and places where I can't mow. I can't really use the chips on the beds yet, because it needs to compost for a year. In a few places (around trees, under the kiwi trellis) I fertilized with chicken compost and then covered with the chips.

I had a glut of blueberries last year. I got 12 from it. Oh yes. Stored them all up so I could make pots and pots of jam.

Hoping for 13 this year.
:LOL::LOL: It's always good to set your goals higher. Very cute.:)

Gravy Queen said:

Hoping for 13 this year.

GQ, ya got me beat. Our bushes were loaded last year, but some critters got to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I got about 6 berries.

GQ, ya got me beat. Our bushes were loaded last year, but some critters got to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I got about 6 berries.
I had critters as well, Ethan,Olivia,Carson and Cade and Jon my s-i-l:LOL:
Should I sic the Doxie on them?
kades

Geez I feel guilty. Rain today saved me from having to water. S-I-L has planted so much here We are swamped. bush beans, celery, broccoli, onions, garlic,shallots, lettuce, sweet peppers and jalapenos,tomatoes (heirloom) artichokes, herbs, chives,leeks, fig trees, tangerines, strawberries,blueberries,2 apple trees, grapes, peaches, nectarines, carrots,radish, cucumbers, yello and red chrry tomatoes,as well as gladiolas,lilly of the valley, trees galore,poppies, a daphne, agapanthas, geraniums, peonies getting ready to bloom. I can't remember any more but like I said I feel guilty:wacko:
kades

kadesma said:
Geez I feel guilty. Rain today saved me from having to water. S-I-L has planted so much here We are swamped. bush beans, celery, broccoli, onions, garlic,shallots, lettuce, sweet peppers and jalapenos,tomatoes (heirloom) artichokes, herbs, chives,leeks, fig trees, tangerines, strawberries,blueberries,2 apple trees, grapes, peaches, nectarines, carrots,radish, cucumbers, yello and red chrry tomatoes,as well as gladiolas,lilly of the valley, trees galore,poppies, a daphne, agapanthas, geraniums, peonies getting ready to bloom. I can't remember any more but like I said I feel guilty:wacko:
kades

Good grief, Ma, that's a whole grocery store! Lucky you!

Back
Top Bottom