"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's a really nice looking plant GG! My first experience cooking with it was recently in Hawaii, where we had a condo and a nice kitchen with some growing outside the door. When I returned home, I planted some in a pot and it's doing well on the patio. I'd like to use it more. Would you care to share a recipe?
I knew someone would ask that I'll try to remember what I put in the Thai curry I made the other day. You know, a little of this , a little of that ... I'll post at least a list of ingredients tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I asked for lemon grass in Greece and they gave me Luiza.
It is a very beautiful and green herb. I am making my tea and use it when cooking.
And I am also keeping several jars of dried leaves for the winter

HERB*LUISA (lippia*triphylla*kuntze) - HIPERnatural.COM

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was just reading Harry's spicy pork ball rendang recipe and wondered whether anyone else is growing lemongrass, since it can be expensive and difficult to find.

I bought a small plant about 4 years ago and it's now about 4 feet tall. The leaves are starting to brown, so it's almost time to harvest. I'll pull out a bunch of the roots and freeze them, and continue pulling out the leaves as they brown during the winter. In late winter, we'll cut it back and start over again It's not invasive and makes a nice herb garden plant.

Anyone else?
what?anyone else grow lemongrass or reads my recipe's!!so you're the one GG!
lemongrass is easy to get here & not too expensive either...usually about 1.50 for three stems from the supermarket but they are tidgy compared to the big boys you see on asian cookery programmes.they are thai imports so i'm guessing not easy to grow in the uk?i am going to try some in bolas's greenhouse next year & i don't think it'll get too big in the first year so could overwinter indoors maybe?i suppose it's ok being available/cheapish in the shops but,as with the spuds,onions,garlic & toms etc that we grow ourselves there's a world of difference between home grown & shop bought.
i've read it's also very good for you so that's another reason to grow/eat more
Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was just reading Harry's spicy pork ball rendang recipe and wondered whether anyone else is growing lemongrass, since it can be expensive and difficult to find.

I bought a small plant about 4 years ago and it's now about 4 feet tall. The leaves are starting to brown, so it's almost time to harvest. I'll pull out a bunch of the roots and freeze them, and continue pulling out the leaves as they brown during the winter. In late winter, we'll cut it back and start over again It's not invasive and makes a nice herb garden plant.

Anyone else?
That looks good GG
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

I grew lemon grass in both warm places I lived (Hawaii and Florida). Ironically, of course, it was readily available in stores in Hawaii and not hard to find in Florida. Then I moved here and forget finding it in stores. One of my DC buddies a few years back sent me some (and some kaffir lime leaves as well)! I found some seeds for the lemon grass, and grew quite a pot ... a huge pot ... (Park Seed) to the point where I divided it and gave it away to like minded cuilinary gardeners. Eventually I got tired of it, and it died! (It's too cold in winter for it to live outside and I had to drag it in and out of the house and it would over-grow the pot so quickly I had a hard time keeping up with it!). So I make do with lemon & lime juice and rind (depending on what I'm looking for). I'd love to try a potted Kaffir lime tree, though (again, had one in Hawaii), just for the fun of it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Head Chef

I have a lemongrass plant outside--not really sure whether I am going to try to overwinter it or not.

I don't like the plant because the leaves seem to be kind of sharp--like they would slice your skin if you were careless. I AM careless, and I hate to bleed.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have a lemongrass plant outside--not really sure whether I am going to try to overwinter it or not.

I don't like the plant because the leaves seem to be kind of sharp--like they would slice your skin if you were careless. I AM careless, and I hate to bleed.
Those sharp leaves make good skewers, particularly for shrimp. Use the green ones, let soak for a while. Imparts a nice flavor.