"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #91
Head Chef

Claire, I think you should be alright with hearty greens. The maple syrup run is coming to an end (here) which typically means we are near the end of freezing nights. I'm going to venture out with dalhia bulbs next weekend.

Msmofet, if you are doing hanging baskets, try one with cherry tomatoes. We have three baskets that hang off the shed and they do woderfully! Give them about four feet to hang and you should have a good deal of tomatoes with even one basket.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #92
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Claire, I think you should be alright with hearty greens. The maple syrup run is coming to an end (here) which typically means we are near the end of freezing nights. I'm going to venture out with dalhia bulbs next weekend.

Msmofet, if you are doing hanging baskets, try one with cherry tomatoes. We have three baskets that hang off the shed and they do woderfully! Give them about four feet to hang and you should have a good deal of tomatoes with even one basket.
thank you. i was just going to do the window planter/box type. but your idea sounds great. can i put one of those long eye hooks into a post of my deck and hang a basket, do you think that will work?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #93
Master Chef

i keep seeing the commercials for those upside down tomato plants. has anyone tried them?

Topsy Turvy Hanging Tomato
Old 04-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

i have two, one seems to be doing ok. i find it hard to tell if needs water or not. probe woun't go down in dirt far enough to be sure. the plant in the other one died. will see if we get tomatoes or not. will replant the empty one.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #95
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i have two, one seems to be doing ok. i find it hard to tell if needs water or not. probe woun't go down in dirt far enough to be sure. the plant in the other one died. will see if we get tomatoes or not. will replant the empty one.
hmmmmmmmmm sounds like a 50/50 chance. would you recommend it anyway?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msft View Post
hmmmmmmmmm sounds like a 50/50 chance. would you recommend it anyway?

probably worth a try, i would advise not to fill with soil. just to depth of the plant. would think easier to check water. it is to easy to overwater and that is not good. also makes it very heavy. very heavy. interesting and certainly worth the ten bucks i spent on each. also say can use for eggplant, squash etc. fun project.

babe
Old 04-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #97
Senior Cook

i have a nice small herb garden im planting right now, hopefully everything turns out, I have rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, sage, and chives. I also have some garlic in the works, i had some last year and it turned out great, very small cloves kind of purple in color, very strong flavour. But when I made roasted garlic with that stuff it was amazing with anything
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #98
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
thank you. i was just going to do the window planter/box type. but your idea sounds great. can i put one of those long eye hooks into a post of my deck and hang a basket, do you think that will work?
Yes, I think that would work. I think the window style would too if you put just one plant in per box (so their roots can spread). Just allow enough "hang space" below. If your railing is 3 - 4 feet up then the height of the planter, you should have plenty of space.

Quote:
i keep seeing the commercials for those upside down tomato plants. has anyone tried them?

We have a similar one (through Gardener's Supply) and it's great. Like Babe said, it is really heavy! You need to plan support for 60 - 80 pounds. We had a special stand made and it works well. Our's tipped over last year in a storm and broke off the plant. We still got one perfectly round tomato though! Hopefully we'll have better luck this summer!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #99
Master Chef

Quote:

We've had a couple of threads on this - this one on Upside Down Tomato Plants will lead you to the one before that from a year ago.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #100
Master Chef

Yes, yesterday, knowing that rain was coming, I planted the greens. Traditionally here in the upper midwest, we're told not to plant anything that isn't really hardy until Mothers' Day. I don't even have my watering hoses hooked up yet (hence the planning for rain thing). I did put my big pot full of both rosemary and curry leaf plants (they look so pretty together) outside, figuring that if we have a late frost I can just pull them back in. They really needed some humidity (all of the windows in my house have baseboard heaters under them, making it very easy to kill plants by drying them out). I'm thinking about taking my bay and lemongrass and putting them out as well. Does anyone know if they can handle a frost?