"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 AM   #11
Head Chef

just got about 5 or 6 seed catalogs. Looking through them right now. Part of me likes staying with what has worked over the years. the other part is more adventurous and wants to try new things. I usually order from burpee in the past , but have been taking advantage of some of the save $25 if you order $50. there was a thread earlier in the year about a tomato variety that was the size of blueberries. Im curious to try those. I have ordered from ' seeds of italy' before where i got these cool, large , round cucumbers. About the size of grapefruits , but looked like a canteloupe on the outside, like a cucumber on the inside. they were kinda cool. Right now, im enjoying my aerogarden. I got 4 different types of lettuce growng plus arugula, mint and basil. Hopefully this think works well, because its nice to have some gardening during the winter other than the planning of next year

Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #12
Head Chef

Baker Creek Heirloom seeds has a great selection of tomatoes. I grew white currant tomatoes last year, teentsy little things that were so sweet!! I think you could dry them and use them like raisins, if you wanted to!!

(And the catalog is absolutely gorgeous!! Lots of pictures of fascinating plants.)

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1275 Heirloom Seed Varieties!

Old 12-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

I can tell you from first-hand experience that Baker Creek is a wonderful company to deal with. While I didn't have a need to purchase from them last year, the year before I did a large order from them, & everything was great. They gave me a couple of free seed packets, & it was nice that they were two varieties that I'd never grown before instead of common surplus stuff that other seed companies sometimes toss in. Germination on everything was excellent.

In addition, from a customer service viewpoint, they accidentally sent me the wrong kohlrabi variety (I'd ordered purple; they sent white). They IMMEDIATELY forwarded me the correct seed & told me to keep the wrong packet. Can't beat that.

The only drawback I had - & they might be doing things differently now - was that any items I ordered online that they were out of, they simply didn't ship. No notification that anything was out of stock. They did enclose a hand-written refund check in my shipment for anything they didn't have, but by then it was a scramble for me to try to find what I'd thought I'd be getting from them. Again, this was the season before last, so perhaps they've changed this policy, but even if they haven't, it certainly doesn't deter me from doing business with them.

And yes - this year's Baker Creek catalog is a true work of art. Even if you don't plan on placing an order from them this year, it's worth it to order a copy (free), just to perhaps dream on next year.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm so jealous. I can't have the "itch" anymore because our 100-year-old trees have created too much shade to grow a garden. I miss going outside and plucking a ruby tomato off the vine. There's NOTHING like something fresh from the garden.

I used to steep myself in all the seed catalogues and dream about all the delicious goodies I would get from my garden. Looks like I'll have to live vicariously through all you wonderful gardeners.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I've got the itch. I've been flower gardening for a few years with very little room left in the beds. Last year I tried a few vegetables alongside the flowers. This year I want to get more organized, but haven't gained the confidence to tear up the back yard for a vegetable garden. So...a landscaper gave me some big pots and I cleared one of the brick patios. Looking at my Zone 9 gardening guide I can plant spring onions now.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Cook

S, in your location it is quite possible to have those pots produce year 'round. I rely on container gardening for consistant and earlier tomatoes. We can get what's called a green tomato summer here in the Northwest. '08 was pretty close to that.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthand View Post
S, in your location it is quite possible to have those pots produce year 'round. I rely on container gardening for consistant and earlier tomatoes. We can get what's called a green tomato summer here in the Northwest. '08 was pretty close to that.
Yes, the pots will produce year-round. I just haven't figured out the growing seasons yet. I'll have to depend on planting guides until I get the hang of it.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Senior Cook

YES! I already have my garden planned, the whole acre of it. I can a lot since I don't have a freezer, and use my parent's freezer for corn on the cob and other stuff.
I can already feel the dirt on my hands! I'm putting in more radishes this year, I didn't plant enough last year. Maybe a few less potatoes and carrots, I'm overrun with those.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Head Chef

Erinny, which part of the country or world do u live in ??

And an acre, Id kill to have a garden on an acre of land.
I have a 20 X 20 area of my land i use as the garden. And i sneak a tomato plant or two in anywhere i can find room in the rest of my land.

larry
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I live up in the mountains in western North Carolina, in Madison County, on three acres. One acre was cleared by my grandfather for use as a big garden. When I inherited the place, I did the same. Gardening is wonderful, isn't it? I love going out there with the water bowl and the salt shaker and snacking away!