"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
Head Chef

Yeah, I grew up helping my dad in his garden. Everything from turning over the dirt, to planting, weeding, harvesting... which he learned from his father . Now, im getting my kids to participate too. Im always trying something new . Its constantly a learning experience. Just when u think you got it all figured out, another curve ball is thrown at you ( no rain, too much rain, bizarre insect, moles, slugs, rabbits....) So all this keeps me on my toes trying to outsmart mother nature.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
Cook

There are few things more satisfying than putting up fruits and vegetables from your own garden.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Oh yes! I have a good-sized patch for herbs too, and I just love the feel and the smell of growing things. I grew up helping Dad, he is a farmer. My sister and brother hate gardens and don't grow anything but weeds.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #24
Head Chef

Im pretty good at growing weeds too
Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #25
Cook

Growing trees and shrubs pays the bills for me. The vegetable garden is sanctuary.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #26
Head Chef

I just received my 1st catalog a few days ago. I can't wait! My problem is that I'm always interested in fruits and veggies that won't grow in my region..... Go figure
Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #27
Cook

JL, I would wager you could grow most veggies in your neck of the woods.Sometimes with longer season crops, it is a matter of starting in a greenhouse or indoors vs. sewing direct outside. Fruits are a different animal though.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I just received my 1st catalog a few days ago. I can't wait! My problem is that I'm always interested in fruits and veggies that won't grow in my region..... Go figure
you and me both. Ive killed my share of orange, lemon and avocado trees

on the other hand i have 3 banana trees that i lug in and outside for the past 5 years. They are dwarf varieties. They say they will fruit eventually, so im patiently waiting.

I also got a few seeds from my friend in brazil of things ive never heard of before " maxixe"

But im always looking for new, unusual things. I have 2 kiwi vines that produced over 800 kiwis last year.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #29
Cook

Right now I have fava beans germinated and braving the elements. Supposedly, that is the way to grow them in western Oregon. Next May, I should plan on having them with a nice chianti LOL!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #30
Head Chef

Hi Port, I'd love to have a small greenhouse but really don't know where the heck I'd put one. It would be nice though.
Hey Larry,
What the heck did you do with 800 kiwis????
Hmmmm, wine maybe?