"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
heavanly!!!!! tomatoes!!
you want to know how to make an 80 year old Gramma mad??????? Take a bucket of those sun-basked cherry tomatos and eat all of them by yourself....Oinkersville.......how did I know that she was saving them to reseed her garden..........you remember Granny Clampett jumping up and down about something stupid Jethro Bodine did??? About the same reaction..........I thought that seeds came from catalogues...........

Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #82
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
you want to know how to make an 80 year old Gramma mad??????? Take a bucket of those sun-basked cherry tomatos and eat all of them by yourself....Oinkersville.......how did I know that she was saving them to reseed her garden..........you remember Granny Clampett jumping up and down about something stupid Jethro Bodine did??? About the same reaction..........I thought that seeds came from catalogues...........

Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #83
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post

goodness, me!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #84
Master Chef

The Itchy Fingers Site

Any of you looking spring in the face, but it is too early to plant? Here you don't plant until Mothers' Day, so another month to go. But the sun is out (although it is still sweats weather, not really warm). I have some seeds for greens that say I can plant before last frost, so I think this week I'll get out there. My chives are up; I've been using them for months. I think I'm going to work on cleaning the gardens and maybe buying some soil amendments. I know that in a few months I'll be sick and tired of working in the garden, but right now I'm ready.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #85
Head Chef

Claire, we're in the same boat. I'm hoping it will be dry enough to till next weekend and I can plant peas. Rhubarb is coming up nicely, no sign of asparagus yet - not sure when I should be concerned:). The green houses are going up and my dad thinks plants are about three weeks away. I know I'll be tired of it too but I'm ready for dirty finger nails!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

all of mine is planted and up, i planted everything in pots. excited to see how this works
Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #87
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
Claire, we're in the same boat. I'm hoping it will be dry enough to till next weekend and I can plant peas. Rhubarb is coming up nicely, no sign of asparagus yet - not sure when I should be concerned:). The green houses are going up and my dad thinks plants are about three weeks away. I know I'll be tired of it too but I'm ready for dirty finger nails!
i love rhubarb/strawberry pie.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #88
Head Chef

Last year was my first at trying to grow things. Didn't get much in the way of summer veg - constantly digging new beds but always running behind the ideal time to plant. Winter was a lot better. Nothing like cauliflower cheese made with cauli picked half a minute before being put on to steam.
Will be a lot more ambitious this summer. Most beds ready to go, but still very cold here in this part of Spain. Anyway, you can tell I'm a novice: who else would think that tomato plants might have germinated and sprung up in the ten minutes since I last looked at them?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #89
Master Chef

It is o'dark-thirty and I'm thinking about the day. It is too early for most things, but I've been told that hardy greens will work. So I'm thinking of starting my greens bed. Mustard, spinach, and chard. What do you think? My greens bed is only a few inches deep, set on top of an old cistern. Every year I throw a bag of topsoil and every couple of years a bag of composed manure. My husband occasionally tells me to plant something else there, and I have to remind him that there is only 3" of soil. But it works well; it is right outside of the kitchen door (yes, it is a 160-yr old house), and used to be the source of water for the home. So I put some soil on top of it every year, and we eat lettuce in the summer, and other greens in early and late months.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #90
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It is o'dark-thirty and I'm thinking about the day. It is too early for most things, but I've been told that hardy greens will work. So I'm thinking of starting my greens bed. Mustard, spinach, and chard. What do you think? My greens bed is only a few inches deep, set on top of an old cistern. Every year I throw a bag of topsoil and every couple of years a bag of composed manure. My husband occasionally tells me to plant something else there, and I have to remind him that there is only 3" of soil. But it works well; it is right outside of the kitchen door (yes, it is a 160-yr old house), and used to be the source of water for the home. So I put some soil on top of it every year, and we eat lettuce in the summer, and other greens in early and late months.
o'dark-thirty

that sounds wonderful. my yard turns into a swimming pool when it rains so i don't have much luck. but this year i am thinking about doing planters hung on my deck railing. for herbs.