"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cool Anyone tried eggplants?

Eggplants! They're easy to plant, they bear fruit in around just a month or so. Low maintenance!

I had some eggplant umm plants before, but a flood washed them away. Just bought some seeds - planning to clear the garden and turn it into an eggplant (mini) forest!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
Head Chef

We actually have some plants growing now but they are still pretty small. The Rosita variety.

Karen

Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to chrispy
Eggplants one of my fav veggies if you wanna have some great yummy ideas to prepare this tasty veggie let me know,you are very welcome
Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with chrispy--I love eggplant. They are easy to grow and produce for most of the summer. I usually grow Black Beauty but have also grown Casper.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I love them too. I have six rosa bianca seedlings up already. They are the baseball sized purple and whites. Quite mild and I can sneak them into recipes and fool everyone else. I love them pan fried with a coating of flour and cornstarch. The flea beetles distroyed them within an hour of planting last year but I'm ready for them this year!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Head Chef

I want to try making some ratatouille with them. I always thought didn't like eggplants but recently has some in that recipe and loved it!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Cook

yeah, they are one of the few veggies that can produce through the hot summer. I like the long Japanese types like the Ichiban variety.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to chrispy
Eggplants baked in the ofen ,finely chopped add sauteed shallots ,garlic fresh thyme ,salt, pepper ,bit parsley........just wonderful as dip or even as side dish like i use it for Lambfillet with gremolata baked in springroll http://http://www.facebook.com/?ref=...423666&theaterpastry,drizzeled with chilie oil,sundry tomato tapenade
Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I love eggplant! I like to roll it in egg and flour and fry it in olive oil.

Another good use is dicing it up and putting it in lasagna or spaghetti sauce. Yummy!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

I love to make a grilled ratatouille. Take all the veggies -- thickly slice or just halve (depending on size) the eggplant, summer squash, onions. brush or toss with good olive oil, season with your favorite garlic seasoning (I like Cavendar's Greek). Put over the coals until browned (not long). Alternately, the eggplant (aubergines, by the way, for some of our friends0 pierced and left whole. In that case grill until almost blackened, then halve and scoop out the interior. Oh, yes, don't forget peppers of any color and heat of your choice.

Peel if you need to, chop to whatever consistency, toss, maybe with more olive oil. Especially in the summer when I have tomatoes, I don't even grill them, just chop and add last minute, but they can be grilled as well.

The first time around I just use it as a side dish for whatever else I'm preparing, but I make a lot extra. It is great over pasta, rice, or on a bed of greens.

Pureed, all you vegetarian friends: Add to beans, lentils, split peas for soup or chili. Your carnivore friends will NOT believe that you have no ham in them, you'll get that great smoky flavor.