"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 09-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'm drying the stalks in white plastic bags, I weight one side of the opening, face it into the wind, and let the wind do the drying, which might take a few weeks. (if it rains, I put the brick on both openings to keep it dry)
Then when dry, I gently grind the outside of the plastic bag/basil stalks/plastic bag with a brick by hand to knock all the husks and seeds off the stalk. I continue doing this until the seeds fall out of the husks. Then I winnow the husks away with the careful use of a hair dryer (all outside on the deck).
This is my second year collecting basil seeds, first year for coriander seeds, 5th year for tomato and pepper seeds. Here is an interesting video on collecting basil seeds.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCooks View Post
I did the same! Though I am growing basil indoors so I can have it year rounnnnd..drool
Have you grown it indoors over the winter before? I have never been able to get it to survive, but some people manage somehow

Old 09-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
GG, I keep a container of Basil as well as Flat Leaf Parsley in the windowsill all year round and they do just fine... but then we have over 300 days of sunshine a year in Arizona
Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've dug up and brought in a few basil plants to overwinter, they look ratty as heck by the time they're done, but it works for me. I've also been able to overwinter parsley and chives indoors. Not pretty, but functional.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

There was a pond you could walk around at my former workplace. Lots of hyssop. I borrowed some seeds one year and pretty soon my garden was surrounded by hyssop minus the pond. FINALLLY got that to go away.

My lemon balm self seeds and grows wherever. But it's easy to thin or remove extra plants. My yes, they smell good when rubbed between your fingers. That's all I use them for.

We made a Ton of pesto this year. Dx made some strategic chicken wire walls and cages for her tomatoes. So she is getting a full crop. Me, nope, and the squirrels only take a bite or two before moving on to the next one. I have rescued a few, just barely enough for a couple BLT's.

My good news is we have been getting quite nd a bit of rain all summer so I have a fairly heavy 2nd raspberry harvest this year.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
GG, I keep a container of Basil as well as Flat Leaf Parsley in the windowsill all year round and they do just fine... but then we have over 300 days of sunshine a year in Arizona
Yeah, that makes a difference. Our winter is a lot like England - temps in the 40s and a fair amount of rain.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 AM   #17
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeah, that makes a difference. Our winter is a lot like England - temps in the 40s and a fair amount of rain.
Oh GG, we can easily get into the 30's, even the 20's at times here during the daytime in the Winter months, but it's sunny the majority of the time... rarely do we have the grey glum of back East, but then that's why we DO NOT live there
Old 09-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Oh GG, we can easily get into the 30's, even the 20's at times here during the daytime in the Winter months, but it's sunny the majority of the time... rarely do we have the grey glum of back East, but then that's why we DO NOT live there
I actually enjoy the "grey glum." It's not as if that's all there is, but listening to the rain is soothing. Thunderstorms are exciting! Sun most of the time would be boring.

Good thing there's a variety of climates, like everything else, to suit different wants and needs.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Have you grown it indoors over the winter before? I have never been able to get it to survive, but some people manage somehow
I'll let you know how it goes. I have a warmer mat that I keep under a wardian case as well as a bunch of daylight bulbs above the case.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I wonder if the equipment I use for my snakes would work in this application. I have a matting called "Flexwatt" that goes under my caging and ceramic heating element to go on top of the caging. Both are controlled by a Helix DBS1000 proportional temperature controller. This controller has an optional night drop cord that, used in conjunction with a household light timer, will automatically allow for a temperature drop at night. Sunlight is ambient or you could use "sunlight bulbs" in place of the heating elements. Humidity would be controlled by watering. Plants should be a breeze compared to temperature and humidity sensitive, arboreal, rainforest snakes.

Tags
apple, apples, basil, lemon