Asparagus growing - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndaW

Cook
Last year I planted two-year old asparagus bulbs in a well drilled, for drainage, plastic container, largest one Hubby could find, 26" round x 14.5" deep.....................I planted four to a container.
Now for my question: We were told to keep cutting them as soon as they reach about 5"
Today, when I was at the feed store (buying eight more asparagus bulbs) we were told NOT to cut them for at least another year
Anyone know which is the correct method?
HELP!

Last year I planted two-year old asparagus bulbs in a well drilled, for drainage, plastic container, largest one Hubby could find, 26" round x 14.5" deep.....................I planted four to a container.
Now for my question: We were told to keep cutting them as soon as they reach about 5"
Today, when I was at the feed store (buying eight more asparagus bulbs) we were told NOT to cut them for at least another year
HELP!

I have neve grown asparagus, but it has always been my belief that you don't cut them. Bulb plants reproduce under ground. By leaving them alone, all the nutrients in the grown stalks will go into the bulbs as the stalks die. Try googling the problem and see if you can find a difinitive answer. Gppd luck.

HELP!

Even though this concerns Ohio growing conditions, it gives you harvesting info.

Growing Asparagus In The Home Garden, HYG-1603-94

Hope your plants last 25 years like mine did. For the ones planted last year, I'd steal no more than 1/2 the shoots from each crown when the shoots reach 9" or just before the stalks begin to branch out. Early in the growing season, leave at least 2 or three shoots to feed each crown. Any growth occurring after a month or two from the first harvest of each season should be left to feed the crowns. I think asparagus is a member of the water lily family and likes moist soil.

You aren't supposed to cut them till the 3rd year. Since you planted 2 year roots, you can cut some this year. I just break it off. Quit picking about May 5 and give it some fertilizer.

One of my favorite ways to eat it is lightly battered and sauteed as you would morels.

Growing Asparagus In The Home Garden, HYG-1603-94

New research shows that harvesting in the second year after planting is fine--it stimulates more buds on the roots, resulting in more spears. You actually should not CUT the spears--instead, break them off where they snap easily, close to the ground. If you take them into the house and cook them there is no waste--no need to cut woody stuff off the bottom of the stalk, because you left that part in the garden.

I start harvesting mine when it is 8 inches tall or so. The first year you harvest it, stop harvesting when the spears get skinny as a pencil. Let all the rest of the spears grow and produce foliage to nourish the roots.

I have never heard of anyone growing asparagus in a container--I think that your pot is not big enough for four plants--maybe one? If you have any place that you can plant it in the dirt, it will do much better. Asparagus foliage is ferny and looks very pretty in a flower bed, if you don't have garden space.

Another thing, if anyone is interested in establishing a bed--don't spend more for 2 year old roots. The two year old roots are the scrawny roots that were not big enough to sell when they dug them at one year, so they put them back into the ground and let them grow another year. They are not much bigger than good healthy one year old roots. And if you plant one year old roots, you can harvest the spring after you plant them. You plant in spring--let them grow thru that first summer, pick the next spring.

Back
Top Bottom