"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I agree with Dawg, you could put some rosemary plants in pots to put in front of the window or the blueberries are a good choice too. Actually you could put tomatoes in pots there. Any sun loving shrub would work, you just have to keep them well watered as plants in pots to dry out quickly, especially in full sun. Of course you still have those rosemary seeds ;). I would go for it and plant them and see what happens :)

Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's what I thought off the top of my head too, that you were zone 7, Google says Missoula's 4a, which doesn't seem right, as you're usually warmer than we are.
I'm in zone 7 in southeastern Virginia, so Montana can't be 7.

My rosemary bush was 22 years old - a gift from a friend when we moved into this house - but this harsh winter seems to have done it in. My bay tree died, too. Rosemary grows naturally on hillsides in the Mediterranean Sea, so it does need lots of sun and good drainage.

I don't have the patience to start herbs from seed, except parsley, and it reseeds itself

PF, you could ask your local extension office for advice on what to plant in your particular circumstances. They take local microclimates into consideration.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe I should just put a kale hedge across the window...
I've overwintered rosemary in the house. It sometimes dries out, but generally comes back once I get it outside. Other years, it hasn't dried out.

Now a kale row, that sounds like a good idea. Kale is ready in about 55-60 days. We have continued to pick kale right up to almost Christmas some years. In Nova Scotia, it has been known to overwinter (winters are milder there than here). Might as well toss in some swiss chard with the kale...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Missoula is zone 4A.

It's not that I want instant gratification, but I was thinking about it yesterday, I was in the store and they had no plants in the gardening center, so I was looking at the seeds. They did have blueberry and black berry bushes...but I would never see a single berry from them with the obnoxious neighbors around.

Plants are not coming inside, I have cats and space considerations.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
Head Chef

I've grown Rosemary inside for years with no problems.
I've never had luck getting it to overwinter but it does do well outside.
Never had a problem with the cats getting into my herbs but I do grow Cat grass and Catnip for them.
(Not to mention that I have the best behaves kitties in the world.)
Rosemary is a hardy plant. Be sure not to over water it. It seems to like it dry.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Rosemary is a hardy plant. Be sure not to over water it. It seems to like it dry.
+1. Most herbs prefer to be neglected Exceptions are sweet basil and chives. I plant those with my tomatoes and they seem to be happy.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

+1. Most herbs prefer to be neglected Exceptions are sweet basil and chives. I plant those with my tomatoes and they seem to be happy.
My chives are terribly neglected. Sometimes I cut the seed heads off and pitch them into the evergreens, I have patches of chives all over!

Another thought, PF, would be miniature roses. Those little guys are hardy! I have them all over, and many bloom from spring till late fall. Again, I would cover them in winter if they're in a container. If they're in the ground they don't need any special treatment. You could plant your rosemary seedlings in the same container with them.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have never found rosemary seeds. I buy the tiny plants. I bought one two years ago and another one last year. I put them outside in summer and bring them inside for the winter. I water it when the ends get droopy. It tends to get leggy indoors and then fills in when it goes outside.

Here's what they look like right now. Sorry about the shaky/fuzzy focus. That pot is usually in front of the patio door. I moved it for the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rosemary.gif
Views:	109
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	21041  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks Everyone! I'm hesitant to sprout something only to kill it...I'm really bad with growing plants. I may just get them started and give them to the Activities department at work.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks Everyone! I'm hesitant to sprout something only to kill it...I'm really bad with growing plants. I may just get them started and give them to the Activities department at work.
Go for kale, Swiss Chard, and radishes, IMO.

Tags
rosemary