Attempting Rosemary from Seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go for it PF.

If I had a penny for every plant I've killed I'd be retired by now. ;)

Some people have a green thumb. I'm the proud owner of a brown thumb. :mrgreen:

It is getting greener as I become an old fart. :rolleyes:

Nice link Aunt Bea. :chef:

Too much work for my lazy butt. :LOL:

I'll kill a few seedling the old fashion way before I go to all that trouble to keep them neat and trim. ;)

Princess, have you ever grown sweet potato vines? They're really fast-growing and very leafy -- with several of them, say 3 or 4, spaced across the width of your window and a stick/post on either side of the window, then a couple of rows of twine or heavy string tied to either side. They like water getting started but are pretty hardy. When winter comes, pitch 'em out and start again next spring. Or some other fast-growing vine that likes your summers.

Hmm. That leaves your window undressed all winter, doesn't it? :(

Little pickets? Actual shrubbery? Curtains on the inside? Blinds on the inside?

I have a brown thumb too and as Zagut wrote, it's getting a bit less brown as I get older. If rosemary wasn't easy to grow, I wouldn't succeed with it. I put it outside in the pot.

BTW, how do I quote a post when I'm using the app for mobile?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Maybe tall grasses that don't need much water. I will have to haul water up the steps to water anything outside. No access to spigots for a hose.

Native grasses would be a great choice. You would need a pretty big container, but with the sun you get, it would work. They don't need much attention or water. Pampas grass comes in pink, and if you're lucky, you might even find it in purple.

Pampas grass, writing it down. I'll go out to Caras Nursery this weekend and see what they have or maybe Pink Grizzly...

I had a rosemary plant outside for 2 years here in new york. We had 2 relatively mild winters and one year i wrapped it up so im guessing thats how it survived. This past year, we had a 2 week span of 20 or below weather which ultimately did the plant in.

Anticipating that the plant would croak, I took a few cuttings and placed them in my aquaponic set up and they rooted very nicely ( I took the cuttings probably in december). And early spring I got them outside and they are doing great. They still have a ways to grow before reaching the size of the original plant, but , the successful cuttings spared me from having to buy a new plant this year. ( did the same for my sage plant, which did survive the winter, but i now have a few successful cuttings.) And the same method actually worked for my fig cuttings too .

I also have trouble growing potted rosemary but I have a huge, 8-foot diameter rosemary bush in the back yard which apparently grew from a seedling a few years ago.

That's huge. You aren't in texas are you? ;) Do you prune it and then harvest/dry the rosemary for your cooking? I can't grow rosemary, I kill it.

My wife bought a plant from a nursery, we planted next to garage which is sheltered, grows all year round, we pick and dehydrate for storing or pick fresh as I need.

Back
Top Bottom