"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Attempting Rosemary from Seed

I got a little 12 hole "Greenhouse" with the pellet pots and a package of rosemary seeds. I want a couple of good sized ones to put in the pots outside, it says they are good with full sun.

A gew questions: Will I have to bring them inside in the winter? How much watering do they need? If I for get to water how forgiving are they?

I am a plant killer...

Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I got a little 12 hole "Greenhouse" with the pellet pots and a package of rosemary seeds. I want a couple of good sized ones to put in the pots outside, it says they are good with full sun.

A gew questions: Will I have to bring them inside in the winter? How much watering do they need? If I for get to water how forgiving are they?

I am a plant killer...
Oh dear, PF. If any plant has thwarted me, rosemary is it. I buy beautiful specimens, they thrive in the garden outside, then I pot them up and bring them inside to overwinter. And then they dry up and croak in spite of watering and misting. I get plenty of dried rosemary. If I'm lucky, one branch is still green and I put it outside again in late spring and plant it along with a new rosemary shrub that I buy.

I buy new rosemary bushes every year. We're zone 5 here, just looked it up, you're 4a. It's an evergreen perennial, hardy in the South outside, not here. Your seedlings probably won't get very big the first year.

I have lots of experience with plants, indoors and out, but for me, rosemary has never done well inside. Sure wish you luck with your seeds!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I thought they were perennials and I think I am zone 7.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's what I thought off the top of my head too, that you were zone 7, Google says Missoula's 4a, which doesn't seem right, as you're usually warmer than we are.

With any of our outdoor evergreens, it takes a couple years to get them more than a few inches tall.

If you do try to leave them outside in the winter, I would try a styrofoam rose cone for overwintering, and plant them directly in the ground if you can. A container will freeze up. As seeds, keep them warm and evenly moist.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Attempting Rosemary from Seed

I leave my Rosemary out year round. I realize our winters are a lot milder than either of yours. I have never planted it from seed, but small plants in 4" pots from the nursery of big box store will grow into a huge bush here in one season. Mine is some what sheltered on the south side of the house under a "catwalk" that leads to the deck. It gets morning sun and some afternoon sun and our soil drains really well, good drainage is supposed to be a must for Rosemary, but I had a 3ft wide plant at our former home that I grew in clay soil.
=\. Apparently you are supposed to bring your plants indoors when temps dip below 30F, but we have plenty of those and I have never brought mine in. I would take Dawg's advice and cover them in winter or make a little green house for them. You get lots of sun in winter, So that could work. Good luck and don't give up!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's what I thought off the top of my head too, that you were zone 7, Google says Missoula's 4a, which doesn't seem right, as you're usually warmer than we are.

With any of our outdoor evergreens, it takes a couple years to get them more than a few inches tall.

If you do try to leave them outside in the winter, I would try a styrofoam rose cone for overwintering, and plant them directly in the ground if you can. A container will freeze up. As seeds, keep them warm and evenly moist.
The Missoula and Bitterroot Valley's are called "The Banana belt". We are more sheltered with the mountains all the way around.

I really don't have anyplace to plant them in the ground. I was hoping for something I wouldn't have to baby too much and would add some shade to our living room window which is at concrete sidewalk level. And I absolutely can't bring them inside. Of course, if I got rid of the recumbent stationary bike...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

The Missoula and Bitterroot Valley's are called "The Banana belt". We are more sheltered with the mountains all the way around.

I really don't have anyplace to plant them in the ground. I was hoping for something I wouldn't have to baby too much and would add some shade to our living room window which is at concrete sidewalk level. And I absolutely can't bring them inside. Of course, if I got rid of the recumbent stationary bike...
Well then, what the heck, I'd give it a shot. I don't know if you can expect much from seeds, but since you have 'em, try it!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I leave my Rosemary out year round. I realize our winters are a lot milder than either of yours. I have never planted it from seed, but small plants in 4" pots from the nursery of big box store will grow into a huge bush here in one season. Mine is some what sheltered on the south side of the house under a "catwalk" that leads to the deck. It gets morning sun and some afternoon sun and our soil drains really well, good drainage is supposed to be a must for Rosemary, but I had a 3ft wide plant at our former home that I grew in clay soil.
=\. Apparently you are supposed to bring your plants indoors when temps dip below 30F, but we have plenty of those and I have never brought mine in. I would take Dawg's advice and cover them in winter or make a little green house for them. You get lots of sun in winter, So that could work. Good luck and don't give up!
Thanks Bunny! There will be no shade for mine until the sun gets past. The walk is on the east side of the building. The west side has asphalt and it would really bake out there.

I guess I may have to rethink what I want to put in those pots. Our weather is in between yours and Dawg's for the most part. It doesn't help that I don't have a yard, just a 6' x 8' slab of concrete.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Well then, what the heck, I'd give it a shot. I don't know if you can expect much from seeds, but since you have 'em, try it!
Maybe I should just put a kale hedge across the window...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. If you want instant gratification, there's nothing wrong with buying a couple of already grown rosemary shrubs, and putting them in your containers. You can poke your seedlings in there too. They may or may not survive the winter, but it's worth a shot. And they're not expensive. Another thought would be miniature blueberry shrubs. My brother was able to grow his in containers in TN (another zone 7 I think) and they were prolific.

Tags
rosemary