"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara

I usually have some honey roasted peanuts on hand I'll bet they would work??

'Splain me about the growing out of the blender, please. It's actually several plants stuck in a tiny 2" container. The Basil themselves are pretty tall and have gorgeous leaves. I'm letting them rest overnight and will pot them up in the morning. I'll take some cuttings then.

There should be a good healthy handful. I've got EVOO and a blender. What's next"?
Growing out of the blender means I had way too much stuff in it! You won't have a problem.

Zhiz, I never use a recipe, please forgive me! I haven't made pesto with peanuts, but why not? Off the top of my head, a chopped garlic clove, a couple Tbs of shredded cheese, maybe 2 Tbs of chopped peanuts, as much basil as you can spare without stripping the poor babies nekked, should give you maybe a cup of stuff in the blender. Start it up, then drizzle evoo through the hole on top of the blender, maybe a quarter cup or more until it looks like a paste. You may want to cut the other quantities in half, and add more to taste.

Let me know how it works!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
AS for the growing of it, just remember to trim it back often, and where ever you cut it, it will yield 2 new sprouts in the place of one. Starting it young, and pinching off at every two nodes yields a small, but lush "bushy" plant. Don't over water. Basil is great at letting you know when it is thirsty.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar
I love this appetizer - it uses a generous amount of basil:
BRUSCHETTA WITH ROASTED PEPPERS AND GOAT CHEESE
Bruschetta With Red Peppers And Goat's Cheese Recipe - Food.com - 3237

This is delicious - It can be a main dish or side dish, and uses 1/4 cup chopped basil:
CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD WITH DRIED CRANBERRIES
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=226616
I have geneous amounts of basil! Those sound great, Merstar!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
AS for the growing of it, just remember to trim it back often, and where ever you cut it, it will yield 2 new sprouts in the place of one. Starting it young, and pinching off at every two nodes yields a small, but lush "bushy" plant. Don't over water. Basil is great at letting you know when it is thirsty.
Spot on Tatters. I would only add that it may become potbound quickly.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have geneous amounts of basil! Those sound great, Merstar!
Let me know if you try them! (For the Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries, I always strain the crushed garlic out of the dressing before adding to the salad - it still retains the garlic flavor, since the oils remain. As much as I love garlic, I don't like chewing on large raw chunks of it)!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #16
Master Chef

Basil is an annual plant so cutting the flowering heads off will extend the growth season.
When potted they will thrive in a window sill and need 7 hours of sun per day.
Basil can grow fairly quickly so you will more than likely have to get a few more pots to separate the seedlings. Don't move seedlings before they have 4 leaves.

Basil combines well with tomato or cheese dishes and make a great salad dressing.
The flavour can be over powering so it doesn't combine well with all herbs. Mint, parsley and celery will stand up to basil though.
Basil can be preserved by layering in jars with coarse salt or packing in bottles and filling with olive oil. The oil can be used to flavour dishes or make salad dressing.
Chopped basil can also be used to flavour cooked veggies like courgettes, brinjals, marrows and squash.
You can also make a foot bath with Basil for tired feet if you've been standing for long periods or rub on temples for a headache.
Use pesto to stuff lamb or chicken as mentioned.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #17
Executive Chef

My little brother used to fry diced red potatoes in olive oil, garlic, fresh basil and oregano. He'd sprinkle them with just a tiny bit of salt at the very end. They were really good. I also really like chicken breast stuffed with basil and feta.

Tags
basil