"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #31
Executive Chef

use your pesto in a vinaigrette and pour over warm sliced new potatoes! awesome

Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
Executive Chef

wow Satie! I am jealous those look so nice! What are the other plants on the table? And other than mother nature how do you assure your basil to get a nice green color? That first pic is a beauty! thanks for sharing!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #33
Executive Chef

sounds like a great idea Robo but I have to first see if I can scroung up enough basil to even make a pesto!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #34
Master Chef

Hey Deelady... I replanted all of them into bigger pots, used some of my compost in the bottom of the pot and add just a bit of organic tomato and pepper fertilizer. Not much tho, it is too strong for basil.

The other plants is a cayenne pepper and a jalapeno plant on it's second year. I wintered them in the house. There is a 4 year old lemon tree I started from seed. And the biggest plant is a tomato. It fell over last Thursday when the storms came in and the bottom branches broke off, along with any possible tomatoes. So I'm hoping what is left will fruit.

I think the biggest key is keeping them fertilized. Specially tomato plants that are in containers. Next year, I'm going to get a bigger pot for my tomato plant. The one I'm using is not quite big enough to nourish the fast growing nature of these plants.

Honestly... I stink when it comes to the green thumb... so I really lucked out this year!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I feed mine ammonium nitrate soln once a week, it`s in a 2x2x2 inch pot on the kitchen windowsill and gets watered from the bottom once a day, but each week I add a Teaspoon of concentrated AN soln to the water.
this works quite well whilst it`s in season, and then towards the end of the season I`ll use potassium nitrate to encourage healthy seed growth ready for next years crop :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Hey Deelady... I replanted all of them into bigger pots, used some of my compost in the bottom of the pot and add just a bit of organic tomato and pepper fertilizer. Not much tho, it is too strong for basil.

The other plants is a cayenne pepper and a jalapeno plant on it's second year. I wintered them in the house. There is a 4 year old lemon tree I started from seed. And the biggest plant is a tomato. It fell over last Thursday when the storms came in and the bottom branches broke off, along with any possible tomatoes. So I'm hoping what is left will fruit.

I think the biggest key is keeping them fertilized. Specially tomato plants that are in containers. Next year, I'm going to get a bigger pot for my tomato plant. The one I'm using is not quite big enough to nourish the fast growing nature of these plants.

Honestly... I stink when it comes to the green thumb... so I really lucked out this year!
I'm just curious - you seem to have a big yard, so why are you putting these plants in containers? They would do much better in the ground.

Here's a shot of my garden from a couple of weeks ago. There's basil in front of and behind the marigolds, roma tomatoes on the right in the back, heirloom tomatoes on both sides, and a pimento pepper in the lower left. And lots more that doesn't show here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garden-august.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	4969  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
use your pesto in a vinaigrette and pour over warm sliced new potatoes! awesome
Of all the things I use basil and basil pesto for, I never thought about using it in a vinagrette and pouring over sliced potatoes. What a great idea!!! Come to think of it, you can pour this over a plate of sliced tomatoes, red onion, and capers.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post

I was growing basil that was bland and had no aroma for a couple of years. I got several books on container gardening with herbs and all of them state that if you fertilize basil you will lose the aroma and the pungent flavor. They were right. I never fertilize my basil anymore and it is so much better. When I touch it I can smell it without getting close. I just use a good quality potting soil and I'm assuming there is a plant food in the soil already so no more is needed.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #39
Master Chef

Maybe it was the type of fertilizer you were using... the basil I have has not lost any flavor or aroma... it smells great. But as stated before, I use very little of it. And it is not used on a regular basis.

GG... I tried putting stuff in the ground last year and it got eaten up by bugs and everything else. I know plants do better in the ground, Containerizing just works better for me at the moment.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #40
Executive Chef

that was one thing I could at least say about my basil it did have a great aroma! Its just never reached a bright green that I expected. I only used miricle grow soil that has fertilizer in it already. Eventually I would like to grow in ground as well but I need to prep an area first (GG I would be in heaven if it looked like yours!!)
Sattie you may think you don't have a green thumb but you def give great tips!!
Thanks!

YT0295....sorry but everything you said sky rocketed over my head!