"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Basil Plant

this is my first time growing my own basil and I have been wondering if it has reached its life expectancy....its budding left and right and even though I keep taking them off it just seems to be done growing full leaves plus the thicker stalks are turning brown even though all the leaves are still green....Suzi you said it was time you got another one does that mean you have to start over each time? If so what do you do with the older plant?
Sorry for all the questions.......

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
lol no i just meant i cant get enough!!!!
you're doing the right thing popping the flowers off, but dont even let it go that far. as soon as you see the little bugger starting, get it offa there!
I have always just picked off individual leaves when I use it, but I think it was KE and Sattie that said to just cut off a stem about 2 inches from the bottom.... i haven't been brave enough to try it yet to see if it will grow back.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Master Chef

Deelady.... I grew mine in pots this year and they have gone nuts. I have been nipping the buds off mine to keep it from flowering/seeding. The plant gets bitter when that happens.

I'm not sure what the best storage is for basil once it is cut from the plant, I usually end up making pesto or somthing with mine right away. But I just whacked the entire plant off 2 inches from the soil. Leaving a bit of stem and a few leaves. The plant comes back in no time flat. In about 2 to 3 weeks.

Now, if someone can give you some advice on how to store the stuff once you harvest it, you will be in business!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
lol no i just meant i cant get enough!!!!
you're doing the right thing popping the flowers off, but dont even let it go that far. as soon as you see the little bugger starting, get it offa there!
I have always just picked off individual leaves when I use it, but I think it was KE and Sattie that said to just cut off a stem about 2 inches from the bottom.... i haven't been brave enough to try it yet to see if it will grow back.
It will grow back... I was a bit leery about doing it too, but it came back full force. I got 3 basil plants and I'm up to my ears in basil and pesto sauce! If you whack the plant, it will at least give you a breather from having to preen it so often!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

store it just like pesto and freeze it......
put it in the food processor and mulch with a little olive oil (not as much as for pesto) and make sort of a paste.....
I freeze it in ice cube trays then put them in a ziplock.... ready for soups and stuff all winter.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL we're all about the basil today Sattie!!!
oh and deelady i did go out and take some new garden pics and put them in my profile pics. I'll get some close ups of the basil if you want...
Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

Girl... we need to rename ourselves to the Basil Queens!!!! Thanks for the tip on 'mulching' it with a bit of olive oil. I think I will give that a try so I can try it with other things than 15 million kinds of pesto sauce.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

ok I'm gonna go out and lop one off, my dad gave me a bunch more this weekend that he started but doesn't need. yay! so I guess I can spare one little bugger.
:)
cross your fingers!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Thanks you guys and I would love to see a close up pic....I will also take a pic of mine to show you the sad state mine is in....it was doing so good until about a week ago...it more than doubled in size since I planted it, but now

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

k.... I'll bring the camera out.... hopefully I will remember to bring it back in!!!