Basil question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well here it is...pretty much gone:( Good thing I dont grow children the way I grow basil:ermm:
I should've ate it like Vera said!:LOL:
Now I remember why I dont have a garden:mad:

I cant wait for the spring so I can get some fresh basil going. It's so much better early in the year. Seems to lose it flavor intensity toward fall. Pesto here I come!

I have not had much luck planting herbs packaged like that, not even mint, and we all know about mint! I can get them to last longer than cut herbs, but have a serious problem when I put them in a glass of water and they wind up in the back of the fridge and get frost bite from being too close to the cold walls.

When your plant grows some you can propogate basil in water to make more little plants. Pinch off a piece and put it in a small jar of water until it roots and then plant it in dirt. Still too cold in SC to plant outside. Basil will not toleterate the cold. You may want to poke a couple holes in the bottom of the tupperware for the water can drain out.

That is a great tip. I didnt know that. Can it be done indoors too? Or is there not enough sunlight inside?

Mel

I sometimes grow basil indoors in pots, but starting from seed (which is available practically everywhere - even in supermarkets - at the moment). It does need a LOT of sun - as in a full southern exposure - in order to do well, or under an artificial light setup for plants. Otherwise, it gets way too leggy way too quickly.

Remember to pinch back basil often, it will make the plant last longer. Try to make it so that it never blooms.

Basil doesn't need full sun, but it likes a lot of indirect light. Trim it (use it) a lot or it will go to seed. There are many varieties. You should have no problem growing it with all those roots. Good luck.

Maybe in Panama Basil doesn't need full sun, but here in the U.S. (at least in both NY & VA) it most certainly does. Basil grown in shade, or even just "indirect light", will go scrawny & leggy faster than fast. Basil is a sun-loving tropical, & if you don't believe me, sow some in both sun & shade & watch the difference.

I agree with you on this one. I can grow a usuable supply of most herbs indoors in the winter. Two that don't work well are lemongrass and basil.

Your experiences with Basil are valid. I have grown it in several States and several countries, because I love it for cooking and for tomato sandwiches. Basil with tomato and anything is wonderful.

I personally have never sucessfully grown it in full sun because the leaves got burned. I also grow more than one type of basil. Mine flourish in indirect sun. Also, they do not like wet roots, so you need to let them dry between waterings.

What I also know about Basil is you have to pinch it back or use it a lot or it will go to seed (flower), which ruins the plant. Herbs are fun to grow in general. I love their aroma. Every time I go by my Rosemary plant I give it a hand hug. I just love that smell.

I, too, have had a problem with basil burning in full sun. Ironically, didn't have that problem in Florida or Hawaii, so I assume it has to do with the longer summer days we have here in Illinois. In Virginia I grew it on a screened balcony and never had a problem with it there, either.

I, too, have had a problem with basil burning in full sun. Ironically, didn't have that problem in Florida or Hawaii, so I assume it has to do with the longer summer days we have here in Illinois. In Virginia I grew it on a screened balcony and never had a problem with it there, either.
These different experiences with Basil are interesting. Your history with these beautiful plants is the same as mine. I have grown them in California, Hawaii, Oregon, Queensland (Australia) and now Panamá and Nevada. There is nothing like your own Sweet Basil.

Thanks for everyone's participation.

Back
Top Bottom