"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 05-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) is a big problem. I grow cone flowers, which I don't particularly like, but the bumblebees do.

Quebec has banned "chemical herbicides" (I don't know what they think the natural ones are made of, if not chemicals.). The province has had a "Pesticides Management Code" since 2003. There are some pesticides that are just outright banned. Dollard-des-Ormeaux, the city in which I live, has banned almost all use of pesticides since 2006. If you can prove you have an infestation, you can get a 10 day permit to have a certified lawn care company apply pesticides. There are all sorts of rules about notifying neighbours, posting little signs, and keeping it away from toys and kiddy pools, as well as not spraying in winds over 15 km/hour and lot of other rules.

We certainly have a lot more "weeds" in the lawns of our condo association, but, as someone else wrote, it's all green.

Here's two photos of the green patch across from my front door.

I see a lot of green with cheerful dandelions and dainty white flowers.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

During WWII, dandelions were an important source of latex in the USSR. That milky-white fluid that oozes from a picked stem is latex rubber. I think that dandelions would make a great cash crop, with the flowers being useful for wine making, and the early greans for use in salads, the roots used as a starchy veggie, and the latex for natural rubber. What's not to like about this plant that is such a great source of early food for bees? The only reason I try to control them is because of pressure from DW to do so, and the fact that everyone east of me wants them out of their lawns. If I had my way, I would have a wild yard.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
The best bouquets ever are the fistfuls of dandelions from your kids! Mine were always displayed proudly in a real vase (or at least a pretty glass!). <3
That is what the small jars of Kraft cheeses are for. Those little glasses make the perfect dandelion vase.

Tags
protection