Black Thumbed Cook Needs Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Hi!

Okay, let's say I have some Basil seeds.

The instructions on the packet say I can more or less plant them indoors anytime. I planted some back in May. In fresh potting compost. They very soon sprouted and that in itself was a thrill. I tended them carefully, trying to maintain a balance between over and under watering and also turning them around so all sides got equal sun. They got to about 6 cm.

And died. (The leaves went brown and fell off). There were no visible bugs on them.

They were on my kitchen windowsill (the sunniest of my flat). Admittedly, we did have a very sunny summer this year - so did they get scorched?

This pretty much happens with everything I plant. (Whether from seed or from small plants and also whether on a windowsill or in my garden).

(Things in the garden get eaten immediately by bugs and slugs.)

I don't want to put chemicals on herbs.

The only thing that I ever managed to grow was a few chilli plants. (I got about 30 chillies from 8 plants - which doesn't seem like a high yield?)

So, back to the Basil.

I have some seeds.....

I have plenty of brand new potting compost and pots of various sizes.

What I would love to achieve is Basil plants growing at different rates so I always have some available - I don't use a lot, and I don't want a "glut".

How can I achieve this?

All thoughts and helpful advice gratefully received!

Hey, fancy meeting you here, Katy!

First, any container you plant in needs to be sterilized. Clorox Cleanup/bleach spray works, and needs to be rinsed off. Seeds need to be warm, I have heating cables that I duct taped to the bottom of flats when I grew everything from seed. Not too warm. Not totally necessary.

As others have said, I would use already started basil plants. You can also root basil you buy at the store in a glass of water, or in a small container of moist vermiculite. Take off the bottom leaves, so they're not under water or buried, and stick them in.

Well who knew we would bump into each other here?? :LOL:

So, sterilise pots. I can do that.

Get plants and forget about seeds. I can do that.

As for "flats" - I am talking about the type of building I live in.... you might call it an apartment? I won't be duct-taping anything to the bottom of my flat! My downstairs neighbours wouldn't approve! :LOL:

Okay, I am going to get a couple of plants on Friday and we shall see how I get on! (I will post pics and I hope for lots of advice and support to keep my "babies" alive!) :wub:

I never sterilize or warm seeds.

But it's much easier to grow from plants.

I have been trying to grow plants and flowers since I was a kid - my mum gave me a little strip of garden when I was 8. I did get some wall flowers going eventually. (They would grow anywhere it turns out.)

Maybe with some support I will make some Basil thrive! :)

I never sterilize or warm seeds.

But it's much easier to grow from plants.

I just fling my basil seeds in a small dirt plot, and ignore them. I always get more basil than I need.

Last edited:
Before you guys get into a ruckus over plants..

I am the OP....

And I need help. So I would like a consensus. Not an argument! :mellow:

Just sayin...

We have reached agreement as far as I can see.

I will be planting small plants.

I will post pics.

And I will receive help and support in nurturing my plants.

Have I missed anything?

Katy x

Huh? Where's the argument/ruckus??

Last edited:
Before you guys get into a ruckus over plants..

I am the OP....

And I need help. So I would like a consensus. Not an argument! :mellow:

Just sayin...

We have reached agreement as far as I can see.

I will be planting small plants.

I will post pics.

And I will receive help and support in nurturing my plants.

Have I missed anything?

Katy x

We got yer back, sweetie :)

When I was born, in the fall, my aunt said "She'll never have a garden. No one puts in a garden in the fall". The aunt was born in the spring and her gardens were wonderful I have never been able to grown anything except a few struggling tomato plants. So, when is you birthday? Fall? Winter? Forget it, you won't be ale to grow anything according to Aunt Pinkie.
P.S. I knew what your flat was.

That's it! I was born in October and then my parents moved from California to higher altitudes and shortened my growing season...messed up all around.

Katy, I'm thinking, your little basil plants may have gotten to warm in your kitchen window. If your window gets direct sunlight all day, I would try moving the plants to a location that doesn't get direct sun beating on them during the hottest part of the day. Probably not going to be a problem now that summer is waining and your weather in "jolly olde" is somewhat like ours here in the Pacific NW US......a little drizzly?????
My friend has excellent luck growing Basil in a North window all year round. Good luck with your new plants ;)

I don't think getting too warm is the problem. The basil in my garden gets full sun all day; that's their habitat. It may not have gotten enough water or may have needed more fertilizer.

When I was born, in the fall, my aunt said "She'll never have a garden. No one puts in a garden in the fall". The aunt was born in the spring and her gardens were wonderful I have never been able to grown anything except a few struggling tomato plants. So, when is you birthday? Fall? Winter? Forget it, you won't be ale to grow anything according to Aunt Pinkie.
P.S. I knew what your flat was.

Interesting! So you are saying that it is because I was born in November that I can't grow anything? (November is a truly miserable month it has to be said). :(

OV, I don't know where your aunt was born, but here in the south, we regularly plant fall gardens. Cool-weather plants do great - peas, lettuces, cabbage, broccoli, second crop of green beans, etc.

Katy !! November is a fabulous month !! It's Bonfire Night for a start ! Then the run up to Christmas ! December is my second favourite month after November . (I was also born in November ) .

The best success I had with growing basil indoors was to buy little pots with the seeds and compost ready to just stick on the windowsill , nowt fancy , but it worked .

Katy !! November is a fabulous month !! It's Bonfire Night for a start ! Then the run up to Christmas ! December is my second favourite month after November . (I was also born in November ) .

The best success I had with growing basil indoors was to buy little pots with the seeds and compost ready to just stick on the windowsill , nowt fancy , but it worked .

Hi GQ.

I'm afraid we will have to differ on this one! My brother (who was also born in November) agrees with me that it is a horrible month. It signals the start of a long, dark, cold winter with all the trees having lost their leaves. Getting up in the dark, and coming home in the dark. It rains incessantly. It is the memorial month for all the war dead. And on a more personal level for me, it is the month both my parents died (14 years apart). Basically, it is the month of death (even Kennedy was assassinated in November).

As for the basil. Yes, I have bought many plants over the years and put them on the windowsill. They never last long though. :(

Wow, this thread is getting depressing! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom