Blackberry Vine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Apparently I have a Black Berry plant that has new shoots popping up everywhere.
How do you cut them back,and keep new shoots from starting?

If you do not want the plant nor its fruit....Dig it up and toss it...Better still spray with RoundUP ... Kills the plant completely --- and anything else it hits....be careful with over spray...Cover/protect anything you don't want to kill....HTH

Round up would have me worried,I have dogs and let them have free run of the entire back yard.They have a perfect figure 8 going on.

I found the main stock,I guess that's what it's called.Is it possible to dig up and transplant it to another part of the yard?

It loves the spot it's in now.It's in a play area that's has sand and rocks.
It wasn't my bright idea to plant it next to the slide.
Who does that?That's just too cold.. LOL! I could imagine some poor unsuspecting kid sliding down into that.

It can't stay where it's at now,I'm taking over the play ground and swing set and planting my first garden.It's now going to be a trellis for cucumbers.I feel like a bully.It's MY playground now!!

If the transplanting isn't a good idea,can cuttings be taken from it?
I'd don't really want to kill it,but I might be able to find it a new home.

Thanks for the help.

Munky.

Hard to believe someone would not like to have a blackberry patch. My biggest problem with backberries is that the birds get most of the ripe ones.

It does get some nice looking berries on it.The birds here love them to.
The plant is in a bad spot,and has to go somewhere,anywhere.

Munky.

First try transplanting some of the younger shoots, taking as much of their surrounding soil, a foot + deep, with them to the new location. They seem to prefer a somewhat sandy soil. Water in well. If they take, cut /mow and continue to cut the unwanted canes to ground level. Otherwise transplant the bigger shoots during their dormant season.

I spent a whole day last week digging blackberry shoots out of my flower gardens. I like blackberries but the birds have spread them everywhere. I'm starting to think I should be running a blackberry farm! I have keep them in one bed and put old tomato trellises out. Hopefully they will stay in control. My strawberries are blooming, oh happy days.

Liz

Other then Root-tilling the area and raking the roots out, Round-Up is probably the best solution. Round-Up is fairly safe, will break down chemically in the present of water, and will kill the root system which you are going to have to do. My Grandfather gave my Father a present of 12 blackberry bushes, once planted they were impossible to get rid of! I spent one whole summer trying to tame that patch, I could get it down to a half dozen plant, turn my back for a week and they would return with a vengeance. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom