Bugs and Other Critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The critters that are causing problems for me are magpies. We have baby blackbirds in our garden and they keep trying to kill them. I am doing a good impression of mad housewife, with running out to the garden and balcony to shout at them. I even heard some of the neighbourhood kids copying me, by shouting ''get out of here, magpie'' I did manage to keep the baby birds alive though, even if I now have a reputation as the village lunatic. It is also probably a good thing that I have inadvertedly initiated the local kids in to chasing the magpies away, because they have much more energy for it than I do.

Mel:)

I'm pretty sure nicotine isn't very good for humans either so I think I'd discourage the ciggy butt water.

One of the others is nasturtiums. I haven't been able to find seeds this year. Anyway, the earwigs and cutworms seem to find the marigolds (my husband's favorite flower) just delicious.
that's weird claire.i was going to suggest chucking some marigold leaves in with the garlic mix as they are a natural source of pyrethrum.lots of organic gardeners plant marigolds amongst their crops to ward off the nasties.works particularly well in the greenhouse amongst the tomatoes.you guy's must breed 'em tough over there:ohmy:!

that's weird claire.i was going to suggest chucking some marigold leaves in with the garlic mix as they are a natural source of pyrethrum.lots of organic gardeners plant marigolds amongst their crops to ward off the nasties.works particularly well in the greenhouse amongst the tomatoes.you guy's must breed 'em tough over there:ohmy:!

She imported them from Montana...

I'm not kidding. I planted a circle of marigolds around some other plants, and they now look like sticks with flowers at the top. Whatever is eating them doesn't like the flowers, but munches down on the leaves and stems. Obviously, without some chloroform going, the marigolds won't live long!

I'm not kidding. I planted a circle of marigolds around some other plants, and they now look like sticks with flowers at the top. Whatever is eating them doesn't like the flowers, but munches down on the leaves and stems. Obviously, without some chloroform going, the marigolds won't live long!
so that's myth #687,524 blown out of the water by the marigold munching montana midges!! jeez,i'd be scared to go in the garden........:ROFLMAO:!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom