"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 03-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #21
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Mine are just breaking ground. The crocuses came and went weeks ago and the daffodils are in fill bloom here now.
Dave,

They came and went already? Sheesh I'd be feeling a bit used.

I'm just kidding.. It sounds like this isn't your Crocuses first Rodeo.. Do they spread out farther each year as some say they do? Hope they do that slowly, or I'll have some serious thinning out to do.. I grouped a few sets up around rocks. Then lined the 19'x7' border path with the rest.

Munky.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
Master Chef

Site Moderator

They will spread nicely if your soil is not clay like most of mine is. I have had these for a few years now and they are always the first to bloom.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Another site for bulbs is http://www.bulbsociety.org
Unfortunately, I don't think alliums would grow well in my desert soil.
I'm surprised that few vegetable bulbs have been mentioned for your plots.
Nice site Spork. Thank you.

Which one are veggies?

That just might explain why some of the bulbs I planted haven't shown up in one particular border. I have a traveling Gopher in the front yard now. He's made his way around from the back yard.

I hope he keeps traveling right on over to my neighbors yard and eats her stuff! She would go insane! ;)

Munky.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
Honey Badger

Quote:
They will spread nicely if your soil is not clay like most of mine is. I have had these for a few years now and they are always the first to bloom.
Oh great I would have to have good soil. It's in the best condition. Not too much sand, smells good. All I've ever done for it is turn it over twice a year. Fall then again for spring, summer flowers.

I always apologize to the worms that I happen to dig up.
Sorrryyy!! sorry.. your ok, right?...

Guess I'll be thinning the Crocuses out soon enough. I over bought! . It's the picture on the box's fault! they looked so pretty, just had to have those!

Hope the like half sun/ shade. We lost 3 Spruce trees this weekend. They can replace the trees spot.

Munky.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #25
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Well that depends. The problem with shade is that the bulbs bloom before the tree leafs, but once that happens, the leaves shade the greens and the bulb. Depending on how deep the shade, the bulb cannot make enough energy to store for next year and won't bloom.

I had a friend who let her back yard become a huge bed of Crosuses mixed in with the lawn. In the spring it was beautiful, all purple and white.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Well that depends. The problem with shade is that the bulbs bloom before the tree leafs, but once that happens, the leaves shade the greens and the bulb. Depending on how deep the shade, the bulb cannot make enough energy to store for next year and won't bloom.

I had a friend who let her back yard become a huge bed of Crosuses mixed in with the lawn. In the spring it was beautiful, all purple and white.
Ooh, that reminds of something my MIL did. She planted her crocuses all over the lawn. That way she had lots of flowers sticking out through the snow. Then they died back and she had a nice grassy lawn.