Can someone explain garlic to me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B'sgirl

Sous Chef
I had some growing in my garden and it is the most amazing plant. I was all excited to harvest it but when I got back from a camping trip all of my bulbs had bloomed! :eek: Then a little internet search told me that you don't eat the bulbs on top, you dig them out of the ground. So what do you do with the ones on top? Plant them? Do you separate the cloves? When/how/how deep do you plant them? How would they use that to propagate on their own in the wild since they don't even touch the ground?

And the bulbs you dig up? I read that you should dry them? How? How long do they last?

Basically, I would like to know everything there is to know about garlic plants. :)

Attachments

• standing garlic.jpg
    standing garlic.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 173
  • garlic blooms.jpg
    garlic blooms.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 187
Actually the flower stalks and buds are delightful.

I haven't eaten them after flowering but when they come out in the spring, bring them in and saute them in a bit of butter and eat as a side dish. I eat chive flowers and would bet the garlic taste stronger but similar, only a guess mind you.

I had some growing in my garden and it is the most amazing plant. I was all excited to harvest it but when I got back from a camping trip all of my bulbs had bloomed! :eek: Then a little internet search told me that you don't eat the bulbs on top, you dig them out of the ground. So what do you do with the ones on top? Plant them? Do you separate the cloves? When/how/how deep do you plant them? How would they use that to propagate on their own in the wild since they don't even touch the ground?

And the bulbs you dig up? I read that you should dry them? How? How long do they last?

Basically, I would like to know everything there is to know about garlic plants. :)

you could just google and find all the information your little heart desires.

babe:mellow:

Dig up the bulbs - you can use them green, it is a much milder flavour, let the rest dry in the sun (preferably) for a week or so - I have also spred them out on a table inside or in the green house. Yo can then string them like onions but I usually put mine in a string bag that I store in the garage.

Your don't have the same kind of garlic that is planted for commercial sale.
You have what they call "wild onion". Allium Vineale.

Google - wild garlic wikipedia. You'll see a picture and description of what you have.
I remember this plant from when we were little kids.

Thanks for the memories, B.

The little bulbs on the top will make new garlic plants, but they take 2 years instead of one.

They look a little too robust, and the leaves are too wide, to be wild garlic.

you could just google and find all the information your little heart desires.

babe:mellow:

Yeah, I've done that. It's usually my the first thing I do. Sometimes the info is a bit overwhelming though.

Are you sure this isn't "Society Garlic"? Smells like garlic but doesn't have the bulb on the bottom. It's more of an ornamental plant. No?

It definitely has a bulb on bottom. I just dug them all up to dry and planted some of the cloves from the top. They were starts from someone else's garden so I have no idea what they really are. I think I'll start fresh next year though and buy some from the nursery. Any suggestions on a particular kind? Keep in mind I live in Utah where the soil is clay and it has only rained once since May.

I think there's a garlic society out in Gilroy, Calif. World famous suppliers to retail and their annual festival. (I don't know about this year though, with the fires out there. I haven't followed up with the reports)
Try googling to find info from them. They would probably be your best overall source.
But for more about the best for your area, specificly, I would check your nurseries and suppliers. They'll know what species will do best in your area.

I wish I could bribe you to send me a braid next year!
Ha!

I think I'll start fresh next year though and buy some from the nursery. Any suggestions on a particular kind? Keep in mind I live in Utah where the soil is clay and it has only rained once since May.

No need to wait until next year, garlic is planted in the fall. Find some local garlic, or store bought is okay, and plant it in October or November.

Back
Top Bottom