"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
perhaps he's still selecting them...

ok, i'll quit.
LOL, Johnny, (actually there is no Johnny) has finished selecting, I received my catalog yesterday.

I am still gardening from the 2008 garden, have carrots, kale, spinach, parsley in the garden and yukon gold potatoes, beauregard sweet potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onions and garlic in the house.

I am looking at 3 catalogs; Johnnys, Territorial Seed Co. and Seeds of Change, none are offering any sort of discount. I ordered 5 packets of seeds from Cook's Garden last year and was not happy with the resulting plants. What I have come to believe is I do best with regional, or at least, US produced seed. I am not so much interested in what mesclan lettuce is popular in a northern province of Italy. Over the years I have tried many different seed companies and seeds, and keep coming back to Johnny's Selected Seeds and ordering the same kale, tomatoes, corn, onions seeds, etc. that have excelled for me.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Bethzaring, sorry about Cook's Garden.
I do agree with regional buying, just as I do with my food source
buying.
I still have my Burpee catalog from 2008, but haven't seen Johnny's
since about 2006. Maybe because I'm zone 10a.

Good Luck with your crop this year.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Master Chef

Being a very anal gardener - lol - I keep a spreadsheet of everything I order & from whom, including catalogs. I began ordering catalogs in mid-November & so far I've received from:

Park's Seeds - pretty basic; haven't ordered from them in awhile
Tomato Growers Supply Co. - interesting reading
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - my top favorite to order from
Kitazawa Seed Company - Asian vegetables; wonderful customer service
Seeds of Change - for some reason they sent me last year's catalog - go figure
Harris Seeds - interesting reading & fairly good volume prices
Johnny's Selected Seeds - wonderful catalog with lots of detailed information
Seeds of Italy - another wonderful European-seed company to deal with; quality seeds & terrific customer service
Territorial Seed Company - another favorite
Jung Quality Seeds - nice catalog, but no personal experience with them
Burpee - for many years a favorite, but I normally buy Burpee seeds locally if I must; haven't been pleased with their customer service since they changed hands some years ago
Dutch Gardens - another top favorite of mine; excellent quality very-well-packed plant material & top-notch customer service. After several years of purchasing different bulbs & perennials from them, have yet to have a problem.
Henry Fields - no experience
Gurney's - used to actually be quite good for seeds, but haven't heard good things about them lately.

I've ordered others, but these are the only ones I've received so far for this season.

I'll be going through my inventory of seeds on hand (I NEVER EVER throw away leftover seed - I still have some seeds that are over 10 years old & still give me excellent germination) this coming week & then start placing orders shortly thereafter. If you wait too long, I've found that chances are good that certain choices may run out quickly - especially with new &/or popular offerings. I don't start indoor sowing until late February - & that's just for cool-weather greens & brassicas; warm weather plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants) don't get started until early March. I'm sort of in a Zone 6/7 cusp - sometimes known as Zone 7a.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I forgot to mention the online site that keeps offering me good sale/discount prices.
www.gardens-alive.com

I haven't used them yet, though.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I forgot to mention the online site that keeps offering me good sale/discount prices.
www.gardens-alive.com

I haven't used them yet, though.
I use Gardens Alive every year for gardening "aides", good company that carries hard to find items for me.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post

I am looking at 3 catalogs; Johnnys, Territorial Seed Co. and Seeds of Change...
Those are my 3 "go to" catalogs. I order from them every year.

Yes, I have the itch to start. I'm in Zone 7 but the cool sping is so short that I need to get things in early here.

Planning to get the broccoli, cabbage, letuce and spinach started this weekend indoors.

I'll start the tomatoes, peppers, and squash in February in the seed houses.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

"The Cook's Garden" catalog arrived yesterday, & was not only fun reading, but had pages & pages of a truly large & luscious lettuce selection. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to order a number of these beauties from them to try out both for spring & fall.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I got my Burpee's a couple weeks ago. Breezy, I do what you do and just buy the packets through the stores.

This last weekend I noticed Lowe's had all their bulbs and bare-roots in so I grabbed a couple packs of onion and potato seed bulbs. I'm also trying out a bare-rooted asparagus this year. I don't know if they'll get the necessary dormancy down here but I guess we'll find out.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #19
Executive Chef

If you bought local, that's what will do in your area.

And even if you only buy seeds and plants from local sources, those mail catalogs are a great source of information of types and varieties. And like Breezy said, the pics are phanominal.
And they usually tell you something of deseases and fungus and such.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #20
Master Chef

Unfortunately, you can't always count on buying "local" automatically doing well in your area. These days both seeds & plants are shipped in from all over the place. The only tried & true method is to READ READ READ. Read books, research on the internet, whatever floats your boat. But READ. And experiment. Like cooking, experimenting with gardening is truly the only way you'll ever know which plants &/or varieties work for you & which don't.