Cats and Gardens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FuzzyB

Senior Cook
Ok so I tried to grow some stuff this year and the cats ate ir or wrecked it all!

How do we avoid this happening? Any tips?

I haven't had the problem. No outside kitties, but I've heard that if you sprinkle a goodly amount of cayenne pepper around the area that is being trashed, the cats will leave it alone. Beyond that, I don't have any other suggestions.

I'm sure there will be others here who can provide more information. The answers will come.

Hi Katie - that in itself is helpful thanks :) I am going to try again soon you see but want to be better prepared this time!

Good luck. If cat wants in, cat will get in, unless you fence it over, or plant stuff
they don't want.

Was this indoors or outdoors? Did the cats eat the plants or use the garden as a
toilet? Are you sure it was cats?
Possibly if you can catch them in the act, you can convince them to go elsewhere by using a water hose or other scary methods!

I agree with GrillingFool...cats are VERY determined once they get something in their mind. A fence that is tall and has very small gaps between each post will be the best option if outdoors. For indoors, the only thing I can think of aside from the pepper trick, is to put your plants in a room that has adequate sun and shade and do not let the cats in there. Good luck!!

There are water sprinklers that are motion activated--bet that would work for cats!
Oh I love this idea. It would work beautifully.

FuzzyB, are you SURE it was cats? We have a plethora of the outdoor variety around here and they don't disturb any gardens to the point of ruin that I have seen. The exception would be if you planted any form of mint. However, even my mint bed goes unmolested.

I have heard cats dislike marigolds and will avoid a bed that is surrounded with them. You could try that.

I has some herbs, mint, parsley, corriander and rosemary and yes unfortunately I know it was them as they have eaten these things when I have had them inside before! I have weird cats lol!

One in particular goes nuts over parley and mint the weirdo! LOL!

I think I will try fencing off an area of the garden or something and keeping is specifically for growing stuff and see what happens from there onwards!

Thanks for all the info guys :)

Hhaa that is funny! I cat willingly putting its head in water? Hha!

One of mine drinks from the tap but he will not put his head under! Thats great!

I might try the cat nip idea haha! I'll have a few mad hatters on my hands as a reult though lol!

What do you know...I thought cats lazy around all day licking their coats and trying to catch the unknowing bird...or at least that is what my mom's cat used to do. I don't know about cats, what I do know about is dogs and gardens. My dog completely distroyed my garden so I placed some of his "droppings" in the holes he made. And he never touched my stuff again. Maybe cats will be put off by a dropping here and there in your herb garden...gross i know...

What do you know...I thought cats lazy around all day licking their coats and trying to catch the unknowing bird...or at least that is what my mom's cat used to do. I don't know about cats, what I do know about is dogs and gardens. My dog completely distroyed my garden so I placed some of his "droppings" in the holes he made. And he never touched my stuff again. Maybe cats will be put off by a dropping here and there in your herb garden...gross i know...

Haha thats has to be one of the best things that I have heard ina while! I guess yuo have to think of it as free fertiliser? Haha! :LOL:

Hhaa that is funny! I cat willingly putting its head in water? Hha!

One of mine drinks from the tap but he will not put his head under! Thats great!

I might try the cat nip idea haha! I'll have a few mad hatters on my hands as a reult though lol!

my thomas drinks water from a drip in the bathroom. quite often he will come for a pet and his whole head is wet. must get under it once in a while. cats are curious creatures, so that is part of why thomas does it. :LOL:

hi I have found mothballs work quite well as a cat deterrent, the cats around here are a pest; one has ripped my polytunnel in several places and made cat paw claw holes all up one side are his owners liable for damage? I have been trying to catch him on my tunnel with the hosepipe.

hi I have found mothballs work quite well as a cat deterrent, the cats around here are a pest; one has ripped my polytunnel in several places and made cat paw claw holes all up one side are his owners liable for damage? I have been trying to catch him on my tunnel with the hosepipe.

Im not sure if threy are as how can you controkl a cat? ?

Get it good with your hose pipe and hoefully it wont come back any time soon haha!

Mothballs might not be the best choice in your garden as they are highly toxic. See this link for info.

The hose...now THAT is the best option. Or a sprinkler system you can turn on at will. Heeheehee.

Back
Top Bottom