"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cherry Trees

Hi,

recently my husband and I realized that we have a small cherry tree in the backyard. Last spring it produced a lot of fruit but they were very very timy and did not resemble at all what you would consider a typical cherry.

I am wondering if they have to be a certain size before real big juicy cherries will start to come in? Or does it vary by varieties? The blossoms were a beautiful pink color earlier this year and just recently the blossoms turned dark red and now it's all leaves and tiny fruit. The "cherries" are not at all edible yet and we're not positive they will be.

Does anyone else have a cherry tree?

Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
Hi,

recently my husband and I realized that we have a small cherry tree in the backyard. Last spring it produced a lot of fruit but they were very very timy and did not resemble at all what you would consider a typical cherry.

I am wondering if they have to be a certain size before real big juicy cherries will start to come in? Or does it vary by varieties? The blossoms were a beautiful pink color earlier this year and just recently the blossoms turned dark red and now it's all leaves and tiny fruit. The "cherries" are not at all edible yet and we're not positive they will be.

Does anyone else have a cherry tree?
SP,
I don't have a tree, but I bet Constance could help you..Send her a PM. She has helped me many times.
kadesma

Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Master Chef

SnackPack - unfortunately neither the size nor the quality of the fruit will improve or change as the tree ages, only the quantity. While a picture would help me identity it, from your description I'd say what you probably have there is an ornamental cherry variety (or even an ornamental crabapple variety), meaning that you will never get edible fruit from it. The birds will love it though.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Here's a picture I found off the internet. https://dcpages.com/gallery/d/99687-...5BlossomsA.jpg

my tree is smaller. our neighbors all have one too. last year our backyard was covered with tiny fruit from it. we didnt bother going out and tasting or anything because we werent sure what kind of fruit it was....

thanks for your help breezy and kadesma.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've grown both edible cherries (sour & sweet), as well as edible & ornamental crabapples, & those blossoms definitely look like an ornamental to me. Enjoy your tree for its beauty & for what it provides to wildlife, but don't expect fruit for your table from it.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks Breezy. You're right. The birds really love that tree!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I find that one year our cherry tree produces lots of fruits and the following year, not that much. Last year we didn't have much to pick, but come this year, we are inviting friends to come over and pick some. I have noticed a few other cherry trees in the neighbourhood doing the same, so I could say, wait another year and see.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Master Chef

I have a choke-cherry tree in my yard. It produces wonderful little cherries no larger than a wild blueberry. The color is a deep and dark red, with a pit that is half the size of the cherry. The flavor is sweet, but with an astringent, or mouth drying effect. They also temporarily stain the teeth an unsightly brown that quickly goes away.

When cooked, they no longer stain the teeth, and lose the astringent characteristic. They make superior jams, jellies, and syrup.

You might check and see if you have a choke-cheery tree in your yard. If so, the birds will still love the tree, but so will you.

Here is a pretty good site that gives great pictures of the tree, leaf, and fruit:
http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pag...ry_common.html

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Master Chef

Actually, what you have there Goodweed is a "Wild Black Cherry" tree. True "Choke Cherry" trees have really really tiny fruit that, even when ripe, are quite tart/bitter - never even remotely sweet when ripe - & only useful to wildlife. And the leaves are smaller than the "Wild Black Cherry". But over the years, the names seem to get used interchangeably. I have both here on my property, & when the trees are side-by-side, you can definitely see the difference.

The fruit you describe, of the Wild Black Cherry (they're very common not only here in Virginia, but pretty much everywhere in the U.S.) are definitely useful if you can get really ripe ones before the birds do. My dad used to make a pseudo "sloe gin" with them by adding them to a bottle of gin & allowing them to "marinate" for a month or two. Made some interesting cocktails with it - lol!!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni View Post
I find that one year our cherry tree produces lots of fruits and the following year, not that much. Last year we didn't have much to pick, but come this year, we are inviting friends to come over and pick some. I have noticed a few other cherry trees in the neighbourhood doing the same, so I could say, wait another year and see.
We experience the exact same thing with our cherry tree as well. One year there'll be more than enough for both us & the birds; next year, only the birds enjoy the small crop. This year, unfortunately, was the worst, as we had a number of late frosts during bud & blossom season that pretty much put the kabash on both our cherry & peach crops for this year.