Chicken Coop for eggs - Insulated Hen House for winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gardenerking

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I produced eggs during winter too.

But here the thermometer can show -45 degrees.

My laying hens still alive...

Welcome aboard and get fresh eggs for cooking:

Chicken-House-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC! How many hens do you keep? My flock fluctuates between 30-38. Right now, I have six of the girls in the basement--they picked a fine time to molt with the temps we're having in Ottawa this week. I hope the rest of the flock doesn't follow. Mine are in an insulated building that was once a kennel building. They still come out during the day. What kind of birds do you have? I have RIRs, Chanterel (sp--the white one from Quebec with feathers on the legs), red shafers, Buff Orpintons, and Black sex linked. I have RIRx Buffs as well. Chickens are so much fun!

Kurja--welcome to DC. I don't need any coops. My girls have a huge insulated Barn and a dog kennel that was converted to a coop. They also have free range of about an acre fenced. Yes I redistribute excess eggs.

My coop is a converted 8' X 8' shed, with a 'chicken sized' cut out door that goes directly into an adjacent 12' X 7' X 6' fenced dog run ( with is protected with a wire roof and floor, which is covered with a thick layer of soil). I had 6 chickens, now down to 3. As raccoon proof as I thought it was, one was able to squeeze into a 4" X 4" gap in the corned of the dog run door, and ate my favorite chicken ( the only one that had a name). We get anywhere from 6 - 12 eggs a week, which is a perfect supply for us.

The coop does have a heat lamp for the winters located in the shed.

Back
Top Bottom