"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I must have done something wrong in drying them. What is your procedure? That would help me. Thank you.
I chop them in half inch pieces, put them in a paper lunch bag and fold it over. I basically forget them, except to shake the bag once a day, when I remember, in a week I jar the dried chives. It helps to live in a semi-arid region.

I do the same with all my herbs.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Saute some in butter then add beaten eggs cut chives, add salt and lots of black pepper and make the best scrambled eggs ever. Love them with a piece of Italian bread toasted with butter. yum
kades

Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
Head Chef

PF, I have dried many herbs in the paper bag method.....I don't know why my chives didn't work.

SO.....I went out and cut up about a cup of fresh chives, put them in a paper bag, to try this again. I'll let you know how it turns out. They smell so good right now.

It will be 75 degrees F today, and our humidity varies from 35-95%. Today it's 37% humidity.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Saute some in butter then add beaten eggs cut chives, add salt and lots of black pepper and make the best scrambled eggs ever. Love them with a piece of Italian bread toasted with butter. yum
kades
Kadesma, this is really good. I've also used the chive flowers in place of the green part of chives, with eggs......it's pretty and yummy.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful

Kadesma, this is really good. I've also used the chive flowers in place of the green part of chives, with eggs......it's pretty and yummy.
I love this too! Chives give a wonderful flavor!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
PF, I have dried many herbs in the paper bag method.....I don't know why my chives didn't work.

SO.....I went out and cut up about a cup of fresh chives, put them in a paper bag, to try this again. I'll let you know how it turns out. They smell so good right now.

It will be 75 degrees F today, and our humidity varies from 35-95%. Today it's 37% humidity.
I think the faster they dry, the better they are, so humidity is a factor. I've never lived in a place with high humidity, so I tend to forget about it.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I use the flowers in my eggs and love to put them in a salad. Walnut oil and a mild vinegar make a wonderful dressing for salad.
kades
Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
Head Chef

Fiona, drying my chives didn't work for me. Thanks, though, for the encouragement. They look brown, like grass, and they smell like grass. Maybe it's the humidity, maybe it's me. I'm going to have to go back to using them fresh and freezing bunches in the fall to last through winter.

The top of the chive plant that I chopped off (about 2 inches from the base) is already sending up more new shoots 2 and 3 inches tall above where I cut them.

I still like the paper bag method of drying herbs through and I'll use it again when the rest of the herbs can be harvested. Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Dill (love this in dips in the winter), Sage.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Fiona, drying my chives didn't work for me. Thanks, though, for the encouragement. They look brown, like grass, and they smell like grass. Maybe it's the humidity, maybe it's me. I'm going to have to go back to using them fresh and freezing bunches in the fall to last through winter.

The top of the chive plant that I chopped off (about 2 inches from the base) is already sending up more new shoots 2 and 3 inches tall above where I cut them.

I still like the paper bag method of drying herbs through and I'll use it again when the rest of the herbs can be harvested. Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Dill (love this in dips in the winter), Sage.
I use the paper bag method for drying mushrooms, too. Too bad about the chives. I have to remember to mark the bags before I walk away, many times, one dried herb looks like another...
Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I was just reading about chives they said if you have to many dont dry it just looses to much flavor rather make a butter or just freeze the chives. also the chive flowers are excellant as well they look nice and have a nice onion flavor as well.