Cilantro selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoraC

Senior Cook
What is your favorite cultivar of cilantro to slow down the bolting problem? I have great cilantro right up to a week or so before the tomatoes are ripe and absolutely none by the time the peppers are ready. It is not all that hot here in northern middle Tennessee, so maybe I am doing something wrong in the planting, but I don't know what. Planting late seems to just lead to bolting in younger plants. It can't be that hard to grow this weed!

What is your favorite cultivar of cilantro to slow down the bolting problem? I have great cilantro right up to a week or so before the tomatoes are ripe and absolutely none by the time the peppers are ready. It is not all that hot here in northern middle Tennessee, so maybe I am doing something wrong in the planting, but I don't know what. Planting late seems to just lead to bolting in younger plants. It can't be that hard to grow this weed!

I don't have a tested answer for you. Mine bolted too.
It's a fast growing plant, and it needs to produce leaves, so I'm thinking I need to add more nitrogen and water to the soil as it grows to have more leaves. Then cut the leaves and chop and freeze them or use them fresh. Cutting the leaves (and tops) may lead to a later bolt.
I finally let mine grow and they bolted and at the end of the season I dried the plants and seeds for coriander.

I regularly cut basil back and it gets more leaves, reducing the seed tops for a longer season. That might work with some cilantro.

Someone might have more experience to help.

I found my seed packet for you.
It's called Coriandrum sativum 20 grams
Seed packet Recommends: 13 - 10ft rows (I planted 2ft by 1 ft patch)
Can be grown in containers in the winter.
Plant successive plantings every 3-4 weeks.
Does not transplant well.
Claims to be slow bolting variety in hot weather.
I harvested some leaves and 1 cup of coriander seeds.

Back
Top Bottom