Clematis - when to cut it back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I have two of the Jackmanii variety of clematis.

Do I cut them back when they turn brown this fall?

Lee

(I'm in Zone 4)
About 20 years ago, I put in about 8 different clematis, different varieties, on the W and E and S sides of the deck. The ones (4) that did the best are the W and E ones. They seem to like having their feet shaded and sun for part of the day. Mine still flower and I haven't pruned them at all (maybe I should). The woody stems still sprout each spring and they don't seem to need any special care, like they did (watering) the first year, to get established. The ones that didn't make it had to compete with BitterSweet vines and another set with large evergreen bushes.
QuickSilver, nice article, thanks. ~Bliss

I belong to the school of thought that I cut plants back in the spring for the most part. Every year I swear my clematis plant is dead, and every spring I cut it to the ground and ... voila! I was told by a local master gardener that, when in doubt, wait until after winter to cut because some (probably not clematis, but other plants) provide seed and shelter for birds over the winter. Gives me an excuse to sit back in the last days of the sun rather than cutting and hauling! By autumn I'm tired and just enjoying my garden!

Google clematis. There are four catagories of clematis and each gets a different pruning for best performance. Hey there is even a bush clematis! In season clipping won't harm any vine that needs a light 'hair cut'. I always pinch off old blooms to extend its flowering. The reason being when the plant sets seed it concentrates on seed developement and stops blooming. A major cut back or trim to the ground should only be done if the vine is in that catagory. Some nurseries that specialize in just clematis have great info. on their websites. As I remember jackmanii types flower on new wood so you can cut them down low and they will bloom the same year.

Back
Top Bottom