"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
Can anyone describe purple basil to me.
__________________

__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Can anyone describe purple basil to me.
It's very pretty, but I find it doesn't germinate or grow as well as the common basil. The flavor is similar. If you just buy a plant or 2 for a pot, it adds nice color. There are so many varities of basil.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,842
I agree with Dawg, although it grows pretty well for me - I think it depends on your climate. But yes, the flavor is similar and it looks nice in the garden or a pot.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
Ok so I just what I think is a good deal. 2 nice size plants of sweet basil for $1.83. Now I don't have any soil area at home so I asked her if I can keep it in the little plastic pot and she said that was fine. So I have a few questions/concerns.

1. How should I maintain these two plastic pots?
2. When I take basil from it should I take stuff from the top or bottom?
3. What time is the best time to water? and how often do you think they will need water?
__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
1. How should I maintain these two plastic pots?
2. When I take basil from it should I take stuff from the top or bottom?
3. What time is the best time to water? and how often do you think they will need water?
What is the diameter of the top of the pots? Is there an opening in the bottom? If yes, do you see roots there? If so, they need to be replanted into pots at least 2 inches larger than the current ones. What do you mean by maintaining the pots?

Harvest basil by pinching a bunch of leaves from the top of the stem. Never take more than 1/3 of the plant at once. Picked basil doesn't keep well, so only take what you will use at one time.

Water in the morning. I'd water at least twice a week, more if it's hot outside. If they start to wilt, they need water.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Ok so I just what I think is a good deal. 2 nice size plants of sweet basil for $1.83. Now I don't have any soil area at home so I asked her if I can keep it in the little plastic pot and she said that was fine. So I have a few questions/concerns.

1. How should I maintain these two plastic pots?
2. When I take basil from it should I take stuff from the top or bottom?
3. What time is the best time to water? and how often do you think they will need water?
Are you planning on adding any potting soil to the plants you bought? They really need some additional soil added to the pots they came in. And eventually you will have to transplant them to a bigger pot.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
The diameter is a few inches. Very small pots. I will probably transfer to another pot.

What should I do about rain. Recently it's been raining almost everyday for a little bit. Should I leave them outside or bring them in at times?
__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
The diameter is a few inches. Very small pots. I will probably transfer to another pot.

What should I do about rain. Recently it's been raining almost everyday for a little bit. Should I leave them outside or bring them in at times?
Leave them outside in the rain, but make sure they have good drainage. Plants like rain much better than water you pour on them, but they don't like to have their roots sitting in water.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
The diameter is a few inches. Very small pots. I will probably transfer to another pot.

What should I do about rain. Recently it's been raining almost everyday for a little bit. Should I leave them outside or bring them in at times?
Put them all together in a bigger pot with a drainage hole. Pots and soil are not expensive, the little transplant pots are meant for transplanting, not growing. Basil is very hardy, leave 'em outside.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #20
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Put them all together in a bigger pot with a drainage hole. Pots and soil are not expensive, the little transplant pots are meant for transplanting, not growing. Basil is very hardy, leave 'em outside.
Should I break up the soil around the transplant pot. I've never gardened before! Just want to cover everything sorry
__________________

__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.