Clueless herb grower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do understand your angst on beginning a new adventure. And we are only too happy to answer any questions. But have you considered your local public library as for a research tool also? :angel:

Should I break up the soil around the transplant pot. I've never gardened before! Just want to cover everything sorry

Yes, you should break up the soil around the roots a lot. Way more than will seem right to you. You want the roots to be loose so they can grow and spread in the new pot, not in a tight bunch

Yes, you should break up the soil around the roots a lot. Way more than will seem right to you. You want the roots to be loose so they can grow and spread in the new pot, not in a tight bunch

Try to shake off all the soil around the roots. That way you are setting them in a new sterile environment. Make sure there is a large bed of new dirt to set them loosely on. Then cover with new soil. Fill the new pot almost to the top with new soil. Pack down the dirt closest to the base of the plant. Not to tightly around the edges of the pot. You want the roots to have room to grow and move freely. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing and how the new plants are growing. :angel:

I think this will probably be the last thing I haven't covered. When I replant them should the bottom of the root be at the bottom of the soil or should I pack some soil first then put it in like halfway and pack soil on top from there.

Actually, don't shake off the existing dirt. Roots are fairly fragile and have delicate root hairs that absorb nutrients and should remain intact. Just lightly loosen the dirt around them so they can grow.

Most plants should be transplanted at the same depth as they are in the existing pot, so put some dirt in the new pot (don't pack it down - the roots need air), place the plant, then place more soil around it. Water well for the first few days, then as needed after that.

Another resource is your local extension office. They will have gardening information specific to your local area and climate.

Last edited:
I think this will probably be the last thing I haven't covered. When I replant them should the bottom of the root be at the bottom of the soil or should I pack some soil first then put it in like halfway and pack soil on top from there.

Oh don't make this your last missive. We want to hear and get pics of how the plants are doing. We also want to hear about the recipes you use your herbs in. (We are just a nosey bunch of foodies.) :angel:

Oh don't make this your last missive. We want to hear and get pics of how the plants are doing. We also want to hear about the recipes you use your herbs in. (We are just a nosey bunch of foodies.) :angel:

I'll send pictures later today hopefully after work. I have two ideas to use the basil for one is pesto pizza the other is for eggplant parm sandwiches

I'll send pictures later today hopefully after work. I have two ideas to use the basil for one is pesto pizza the other is for eggplant parm sandwiches

I am coming for the sandwiches. Eggplant is my favorite veggie. :angel:

Do you see where pairs of leaves are growing in above a big leaf? That's the place to cut off some basil for cooking. The plant will get bushier, because those little leaves will make stems.

Like the singular big ones and above them there are like 4 paired together.. Is that where I rip?

Like the singular big ones and above them there are like 4 paired together.. Is that where I rip?
Yup, just above the 4 paired together. They will grow stems even if you don't cut, but the stems will grow faster if you do.

BTW, that's the same for a lot of plants, for example, mint and rosemary.

Ok. And since those Are so little and not much to use. Would you say my bush is still a child and I should let t grow before I start picking at its big leaves and from the bottom.

Ok. And since those Are so little and not much to use. Would you say my bush is still a child and I should let t grow before I start picking at its big leaves and from the bottom.
I would shorten the plant on the left to about 2/3 its current height, remembering to cut above pairs of little leaves. That way it can get bushier before you start picking individual leaves. Fresh leaves are potent, so even a little is useful for adding flavour or as a garnish.

I am kind of just confusing myself more by going so in detail. But I'm having trouble distinguishing which parts of the plant I should take off and cut with a scissor I take it? If someone could pinpoint on my photos where to pick leaves or snap stems that would be much appreciated

I am kind of just confusing myself more by going so in detail. But I'm having trouble distinguishing which parts of the plant I should take off and cut with a scissor I take it? If someone could pinpoint on my photos where to pick leaves or snap stems that would be much appreciated
The top arrow shows the kind of place. The lower arrow is a guess on my part:

Attachments

• basil.jpg
    basil.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 60
Thanks! I'm getting soil and probably some more herbs today so I'll send pics of everything. Plus, I'll send pics of where I cut the basil and you guys can judge if I did it correctly. But, looking forward to using it in my eggplant parm sandwiches tonight.

Thanks! I'm getting soil and probably some more herbs today so I'll send pics of everything. Plus, I'll send pics of where I cut the basil and you guys can judge if I did it correctly. But, looking forward to using it in my eggplant parm sandwiches tonight.

Don't worry, basil is tough, you can cut it almost all the way back, and it will still put out new growth. If you just pinch a few leaves here and there, that works too. And a bunch of different herbs together in a big pot looks so pretty, and is so useful. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom