"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener

Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

We do understand your angst on beginning a new adventure. And we are only too happy to answer any questions. But have you considered your local public library as for a research tool also?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Should I break up the soil around the transplant pot. I've never gardened before! Just want to cover everything sorry
Yes, you should break up the soil around the roots a lot. Way more than will seem right to you. You want the roots to be loose so they can grow and spread in the new pot, not in a tight bunch

Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank H View Post
Yes, you should break up the soil around the roots a lot. Way more than will seem right to you. You want the roots to be loose so they can grow and spread in the new pot, not in a tight bunch
Try to shake off all the soil around the roots. That way you are setting them in a new sterile environment. Make sure there is a large bed of new dirt to set them loosely on. Then cover with new soil. Fill the new pot almost to the top with new soil. Pack down the dirt closest to the base of the plant. Not to tightly around the edges of the pot. You want the roots to have room to grow and move freely. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing and how the new plants are growing.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
Cook

I think this will probably be the last thing I haven't covered. When I replant them should the bottom of the root be at the bottom of the soil or should I pack some soil first then put it in like halfway and pack soil on top from there.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, don't shake off the existing dirt. Roots are fairly fragile and have delicate root hairs that absorb nutrients and should remain intact. Just lightly loosen the dirt around them so they can grow.

Most plants should be transplanted at the same depth as they are in the existing pot, so put some dirt in the new pot (don't pack it down - the roots need air), place the plant, then place more soil around it. Water well for the first few days, then as needed after that.

Another resource is your local extension office. They will have gardening information specific to your local area and climate.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think this will probably be the last thing I haven't covered. When I replant them should the bottom of the root be at the bottom of the soil or should I pack some soil first then put it in like halfway and pack soil on top from there.
Oh don't make this your last missive. We want to hear and get pics of how the plants are doing. We also want to hear about the recipes you use your herbs in. (We are just a nosey bunch of foodies.)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh don't make this your last missive. We want to hear and get pics of how the plants are doing. We also want to hear about the recipes you use your herbs in. (We are just a nosey bunch of foodies.)
I agree.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I'll send pictures later today hopefully after work. I have two ideas to use the basil for one is pesto pizza the other is for eggplant parm sandwiches
Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'll send pictures later today hopefully after work. I have two ideas to use the basil for one is pesto pizza the other is for eggplant parm sandwiches
I am coming for the sandwiches. Eggplant is my favorite veggie.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
Cook

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1025376412.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	18220

My first basil plants. I still have to get a bigger pot and transplant them