"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Attachment 18220

My first basil plants. I still have to get a bigger pot and transplant them
Do you see where pairs of leaves are growing in above a big leaf? That's the place to cut off some basil for cooking. The plant will get bushier, because those little leaves will make stems.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Attachment 18220

My first basil plants. I still have to get a bigger pot and transplant them
Those look nice and healthy.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you see where pairs of leaves are growing in above a big leaf? That's the place to cut off some basil for cooking. The plant will get bushier, because those little leaves will make stems.
Like the singular big ones and above them there are like 4 paired together.. Is that where I rip?
__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Like the singular big ones and above them there are like 4 paired together.. Is that where I rip?
Yup, just above the 4 paired together. They will grow stems even if you don't cut, but the stems will grow faster if you do.

BTW, that's the same for a lot of plants, for example, mint and rosemary.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
Ok. And since those Are so little and not much to use. Would you say my bush is still a child and I should let t grow before I start picking at its big leaves and from the bottom.
__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Ok. And since those Are so little and not much to use. Would you say my bush is still a child and I should let t grow before I start picking at its big leaves and from the bottom.
I would shorten the plant on the left to about 2/3 its current height, remembering to cut above pairs of little leaves. That way it can get bushier before you start picking individual leaves. Fresh leaves are potent, so even a little is useful for adding flavour or as a garnish.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #37
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
I am kind of just confusing myself more by going so in detail. But I'm having trouble distinguishing which parts of the plant I should take off and cut with a scissor I take it? If someone could pinpoint on my photos where to pick leaves or snap stems that would be much appreciated
__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
I am kind of just confusing myself more by going so in detail. But I'm having trouble distinguishing which parts of the plant I should take off and cut with a scissor I take it? If someone could pinpoint on my photos where to pick leaves or snap stems that would be much appreciated
The top arrow shows the kind of place. The lower arrow is a guess on my part:
Attached Images
 
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 77
Thanks! I'm getting soil and probably some more herbs today so I'll send pics of everything. Plus, I'll send pics of where I cut the basil and you guys can judge if I did it correctly. But, looking forward to using it in my eggplant parm sandwiches tonight.
__________________
dc2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Thanks! I'm getting soil and probably some more herbs today so I'll send pics of everything. Plus, I'll send pics of where I cut the basil and you guys can judge if I did it correctly. But, looking forward to using it in my eggplant parm sandwiches tonight.
Don't worry, basil is tough, you can cut it almost all the way back, and it will still put out new growth. If you just pinch a few leaves here and there, that works too. And a bunch of different herbs together in a big pot looks so pretty, and is so useful. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.