Coffee gardening question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NZDoug

Cook
:chef:
Is it bad for the garden if one puts used coffee grounds in the compost bin.
The wife says coffee grounds can kill the grass so she says its a no no.
Is she right, ?
Can this be so?
Merry Chrissy, as we say in NZ, to you all, or y`all, as we say in TX.

You do not want grass in your garden do you? Coffee grounds are good for your compost pile.

Coffee grounds = good compost. In fact, if you keep roses, coffee grounds are very good for them.

Had to quit dumping coffee grounds on my garden, the dog was eating them! Nothing worse than a Labrador on a caffiene buzz.

The wife just throws hers straight on the plants, not the compost bin. She likes to put them on potted plants and house plants, but once they have enough she just throws them right into the garden. She does say that once you start doing that you should occasionally turn the soil so it doesn't pile up.

Coffe "Grounds"

Yes....we add coffee grounds to our compost bin. And we also add them directly to our house plants and in our veggie garden in Spring. They are good for the soil and the plants. Aria

Used coffee grounds are generally better straight on the plants, without composting. I've started several rose bushes off in nothing but pure grounds in place of soil. (Though I did add a dash of plant food.)

If you make toddy, you'll know where how I got that much!

Recipe for Toddy

Ingredients
5Lb Coarse Ground Coffee
5Gal of Water (approx)

Tools
5 Gallon Bucket (with lid)
1 Clean Pillowcase (wash it first if its brand new)

Put the 5lbs of coffee in the pillowcase, and tie it off.
Put the pillowcase in the bucket, and fill to near full with water.
Put a lid on the bucket, and put bucket in fridge.
Soak piilowcase in water for 2 days.
Remove pillowcase and use the grounds for whatever.

Toddy is good for about a week if kept refrigerated.

(Great for basically any cold coffee based drink, extremely heavy caffiene... using decaf coffee ground results in toddy with about the same caffiene as regular coffee brewed in a pot, using regular coffee makes toddy with the caffiene content of Jolt cola. I use it for making coffee based ice creams, and as the basis for my own enery drinks.)

Yes, I got tired of buying energy drinks. I now make my own. I make about 5 gallons at a time. (The recipe just makes toddy, not the full recipe for my drinks.)

Coffee grounds are good on some things. Roses,Rhododendron,blueberry bushesand any plant that requires acid. It is NOT good for potatos, or plants that like the more base state
It is good for the compost pile mainly because the compost will bring it back to a base state.
Mystry :)

Coffee grounds are also a good source of nitrogen and in composting help balance the carbon/nitrogen ratio to keep those hungry microbes happy.

Thanks , everyone for your good advice and ideas.
Warning, warning, Will Robinson! Coffee grounds are not good for your plumbing! :nuke:

Also in worm bin

I've also noticed that, in a worm-based compost bin, the worms really go for the coffee grounds. Must be not that bad for the health, a good cup of coffee!

Btw, I saw a great design of a worm-based compost bin, it's in the UK, not sure if it's available elsewhere. It's called worm hive.

I don't have a good location for a compost bin, but when it comes to coffee and loose tea, I do put it right into the soil in my garden. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, and I get compliments on my produce and herbs even 'though I have a realtively small garden.

Back
Top Bottom